Seven

The next morning, I woke up from an unpleasant pounding on the door as a man called out my surname. At first, I thought I was dreaming. Then someone nudged my leg, startling me awake.

"Wake up. Someone is looking for you," Terry said groggily.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up. In a daze, I walked towards the door as Terry went back to his room. I peeked through the peephole before opening the door. I was making sure whoever it was, wasn't any of the following:

1.) a serial killer,

2.) a drug dealer, or

3.) a prick with the initials W.M.

I was surprised to find out there were two men waiting outside. The first one wore a red plaid polo shirt over a white undershirt while the second wore a business suit.

"What can I do for you?" I said testily, not feeling particularly courteous as they woke me up too early.

"Ms. Peterson?" the man in a suit asked. "My name is Kevin. I work for Ms. Maxwell. We're here to move your things to your new apartment."

His words woke me up.

"You guys should have called. It's too early for me to move. Please come in." I gestured my hand inside as I opened the door wider.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion, Miss," the man in plaid shirt whispered to me as he passed by, giving me an apologetic smile.

I realized I had left the couch in a mess. I excused myself and walked ahead of them so I could go through my things and clean up as much as I could. Once they got to the living room, they stood there for a second to scan the place.

"Please, take a seat. I haven't packed yet since I wasn't given a heads-up," I said after a long pause.

"We understand," Kevin replied with a small smile as he took a seat in one of the kitchen stools.

"Do you guys want anything to eat?" I offered, walking towards them.

"No, thank you."

"A cup of coffee would be lovely."

They both replied at the same time.

"Coming right up," I replied cheerfully, turning on the coffee machine.

It took less than an hour to pack my things, making me realize how little I had. I called the hospital to let dad know I'd be late today. I didn't say anything about the move since I wanted to tell him myself.

Terry watched silently as I packed. When it was finally time to go, he started to become emotional.

"I'm going to miss you. Most of all, I'm going to miss your breakfast," he said with a chuckle.

"And I'd miss being your personal housemaid," I said, joking back.

"Honestly, Andy. I'm going to miss you."

I gave him a brief hug and asked him to visit my new apartment once I've settled in. He took the offer saying he'd visit this very afternoon with Andrew. At the thought of my new apartment, it hit me I had no furniture. I hope the place would at least have a couch.

Terry walked me out of the building. When we got outside, Kevin was opening a black Audi SUV for me. Terry and I stood there, staring in awe at the car. When I finally snapped out of my daze, I let Kevin take my stuff to the car while I made my way to the back seat. Terry gave me one last beaming smile and waved as we drove away.

I pondered on how my new apartment would look. I hoped it was somewhere in the same street as Terry's. I wouldn't even mind if it was small. At least that was better than living on a couch.