"the buggy"

(Maggie spent the night at Alex's place. Maggie is still asleep, so Alex quietly gets dressed and makes some toast. She brings it over to the bed and Maggie stirs; she wakes up and rolls over to face Alex.)

A: Good morning, sleepyhead.

M: Unhhh... What time is it?

A: It doesn't matter, you needed the sleep. Here, I made you breakfast.

(Maggie sits up groggily and nibbles the corner of her toast. Her hair lies in heaps all over her head, one curl making a large arc from one side to the other. Alex snickers and takes an unflattering picture, making Maggie scowl.)

M: Allllexxxx, I'm tired...

A: You're so cute though, you and your toast.

(Maggie pouts and smacks Alex, her arm still too asleep to do much at all. Alex kisses her softly and crawls back under the covers, holding her coffee mug in one hand and Maggie's in the other. They enjoy breakfast in content silence on the bed. Maggie is finished first and slowly rises, stretching, to bring her plate and mug to the sink; she is wearing a grey tank top and boyshorts. Alex likes this.)

A: You are just... so beautiful. How do you do that? Not a rhetorical question. I'd love to know.

M: Quit talking to yourself, Danvers.

(Maggie jumps back onto the bed and squishes Alex, who luckily set her coffee down seconds before. She leans down to kiss Alex, pinning her wrists down and sitting on her abdomen before their lips meet. Alex gets one hand free without breaking the kiss and pushes Maggie's hair behind her ear, holding her face gently as Maggie slides out of her straddle position to lie flat on top of Alex, placing her weight on one knee. Alex slips her other hand around Maggie's waist and delicately along her spine. Maggie slowly pulls away.)

M: Your breath stinks a bit, babe.

(Maggie smirks and dismounts, striding confidently to the bathroom. Alex scoffs and finishes her coffee, then brushes her teeth.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Once every few weeks - today - Alex and Maggie have corresponding days off. They intend to spend this one running errands, going through and cleaning Alex's apartment, and cooking dinner. Maggie takes a shower and gets dressed, while Alex loads and runs the dishwasher. They reconvene by the front door; Alex has a bright red bundle-buggy in tow.)

M: Danvers, what the hell is that?

A: It's efficient, compact, and convenient. That's what the hell it is.

M: It's just... so ugly. Why did you even... y'know what, never mind, let's go.

(Maggie - genuinely baffled by this hideous contraption, and her partner's evident fondness of it - follows Alex down the hall to the elevator. The grocery store is only ten minutes away and it's nice outside, so they decide to walk. Alex's beloved buggy bounces loudly down the sidewalk and she delights at how much it bothers Maggie. They arrive at the grocery store and separate to collect the ingredients for tonight's dinner - bell peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, et cetera – in a quick and orderly fashion. She wouldn't admit this, but Maggie wanted to avoid being seen with her elderly dork girlfriend and her grocery receptacle... She is a highly-esteemed detective, and as such has a reputation to uphold; a reputation that does not align with such flamboyantly displeasing sights. Maggie meets Alex in line at the self-checkout.)

A: Maggie, look at how much food we can fit in here! I don't know why anybody drives to the store when we have this type of technology at our fingertips. I mean, it's unbelievable! It's unbelievable, I can't believe it.