"I love the cello" (final)

Sun poured in through the window to fill the room with a warm golden fog, illuminating specks of dust, as Alex withdrew the heavy curtain. Light came through in distinct rays, and Maggie pulled a sheet over her head to shield her eyes from the beam striking her face. She groaned and turned over, bringing the covers with her, deeming it too early for the bright invasion to which she'd been made subject; Alex hopped on top of her, pulling away the blankets.

"Rise and shine, pretty lady," whispered Alex as she peeled back layers of bedding, straddling her girlfriend's chest without crushing her, knees on either side of the blanket burrito. Maggie burrowed further into the bed as Alex removed the final sheet, smothering her with kisses. Maggie groaned again and turned to look up at Alex, blinking sleep from her eyes and holding her hand up to block the sun. Smugly on top of her Alex perched, pleased with herself, as Maggie twisted under her to shift upright.

"Why," Maggie complained, almost whining, rubbing her eye with the back of her hand, "We're on vacation, why are you awake?"

"Carpe diem! I smelled breakfast. Also, my elbow was really itchy from that bug bite, so I couldn't fall back asleep."

Flicking her fingers and thumb along Alex's thighs like she was playing the drums, Maggie amusedly allowed Alex to bring her out of a restful sleep. Alex was already dressed in her swimsuit with a romper on top – suitable breakfast attire – and Maggie rose slowly to take a shower. Once the water was on she realized there was little point in rinsing off now, as they were headed to the ocean once the tide was out, so shut it off and brushed her teeth. The two left for breakfast once Maggie had chosen a similar ensemble for herself.

---

"My eyes are burning!"

Maggie observed her partner frantically rubbing her face, only adding more salty water to the blend of foreign substances irritating her skin. The ocean had done them good while they'd surfed on it – swimming in it was a different story, as became evident to Alex, who blindly fled the lapping waves in search of a towel. Maggie tossed her one from the stack by the hammocks where she sat, dry, having had the forethought to return before reaching the point of discomfort Alex now exhibited. She approached Alex's flailing limbs with caution to help her dry off.

"Danvers, babe, hold on, you're gonna peel off a layer of your face. Let me get it," calmly but through laughter, Maggie coaxed, "you gotta be gentle. Let me wet the towel -"

"Water makes it worse, I tried that!"

"That's salt water, Alex. Of course that made it worse. I'm talking about bottled water."

Alex smiled sheepishly, her eyes still held firmly shut as Maggie poured cold water on the towel. Drops fell to the sand beneath their feet as Maggie wringed it out and gently wiped Alex's eyes, wetting it repeatedly as she went to clear the burning sensation. Alex's movements became less erratic as she began to feel the positive effects of Maggie's logical approach.

"If you wanted to make friends with the fish, we could've gotten you a snorkel," Maggie condescended.

"I'm not an idiot, Maggie!" Alex stubbornly huffed and crossed her arms, knowing she was in no position to defend that statement; she really did look like an idiot right now. Maggie decided not to be a smartass – this time – and patiently dabbed the salt away with a half-smile.

"Next time we'll set you a timer." Maggie kissed her quickly and placed the towel in the bin next to her, and Alex gathered her things, looking down to hide her grin. She checked her phone briefly before slipping it into the outer pocket of Maggie's small backpack, along with her sunblock, wallet, and hat. Flip, flop, flip, flop, echoed down the wooden path leading back to the hotel atrium as they walked, Alex's eyes and face still bright red, to wash up for dinner.