Underlying Panic

The rest of the weekend was absolutely shameful. Yukio wasn't lying when he said he'd hide all the chemicals. He'd even taken the disinfectant from the kitchen, so I had to ask him for it whenever I needed to wipe down the counters. It was humiliating, he'd even wait for me to finish so that I wouldn't pull anything. I was relieved when Monday came and Yukio went off for school. It let me breathe normally, which I realized I hadn't been doing.

"I'll be checking in during lunch and before cram, alright?" He adjusted his glasses and gave me a stern look.

I nodded timidly, "okay, have fun."

His expression softened, and with a sigh, he set down his notebooks. My eyes widened when he approached, wrapping his arms around me. Warmth soaked through his clothes to mine, and I relaxed into him. "I love you, you do know that, right?" I simply nodded, "because I don't want you to forget that, especially during times like these." He sighed into my hair, his breath tickling my ear, "I don't know what I'd do without you."

I forced a smile, "well, you'd be well on your way to school at the moment. You'll be late if you don't leave soon."

"I have a few minutes," he sighed, "but I'll go." He grabbed his notebooks and headed to the door, giving me a backward glance, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

School was already out and Yukio had kept his promise on checking in on me. Cram school was definitely in session at the moment, and I wondered dully what my peers thought of my absence.

I sighed, bored out of my mind. I'd exhausted everything that I could do. All of the chores were done or were off limits, and dinner was finished ahead of time. I had no homework, at least in the dorm I didn't. I'm sure I'd have to get a stack of papers once I returned, and that made me groan.

So, I did the most Japanese thing I could, origami. Hell, I think I've folded hundred of animals in the past two hours, and my trash bin was filled with scrapped notebook paper. I probably shouldn't have used a school notebook, but I didn't have the actual paper.

Kuro had walked in sometime during my paper frenzy. "Ooh, ooh, do one for me! Can you make me? Oh! No! Show me, I want to make myself!" I stared at him and I swear I saw him blush under all the fur. "Sorry, I got excited."

I chuckled, "I can tell, but I can make you one, that way you can see how it's done." He nodded cheerfully, and I felt a small blossom of happiness grow inside me. Right now, it was a little easier to forget what has happened to me. I wasn't a broken object in need of supervision, and I wasn't an object that could be used. I was simply Okumura Rin, and I was folding paper cats with my cat. It all seemed so normal, and I was grateful for every moment of it.

Time seemed to fly so fast, I didn't even hear Yukio walk in. "Nii-san-?" He paused, eyes wide at the scene before him. Dozens of paper felines were scattered about, some of them colored black from the permanent marker sitting on the desk. I had a few flowers in my hair and Kuro had hearts on his horns.

My furry companion and I exchanged glances, "I can explain," I said, my eyes returning to Yukio.

He burst into laughter, a wide smile on his face. "No, no, I think it's better like this with me not knowing." He shook his head, small chuckles escaping his lips as he took off his exorcist coat and hung it up. "I'm assuming you've been doing this ever since I left?"

"I though you didn't want to know?" He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Smart ass, well, whatever, it looks like you guys had fun. That's all that matters, I guess." He grabbed a pair of pajamas and walked toward the bathroom, I'll be out shortly."