Terminale

"Come on!" I huffed desperately, "you useless idiot, pick up!" The dial tone beeped and I sputtered into the speaker. "Yukio, why the fuck didn't you tell me he was out? You lied to me, oh god, I'm so scared. Pick up your fucking phone, I don't care if you're in the middle of teaching!"

Lightning flashed and blurred my vision for a moment. "Fuck! I'm not okay, Yukio, I'm scared!" I turned a corner and my eyes darted around, looking for any suspicious behavior. "What if he's in True Cr-" thunder crashed and I cussed, the ground shaking underneath me. I pulled the speaker to my face again, "Yukio, I need your help, I feel like I'm going to break."

Beeeeep.

Fuck, that was the end of that message, and I redialed him. Please, please, please pick up!

Fuck!

I turned off my phone, focusing my attention on getting back to the academy. It was safe there, at least, I hoped it was. Water cascaded from above and drenched me from head to toe, my hair plastering to my skull. I puffed as I entered the school gates, my vision was blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out.

Slamming the door to the dormitory, I sprinted up the stairs, thunder rumbling outside. I had to hide, needed to get away, go anywhere he couldn't find me. Lightning flashed and cast a shadow through the hallway window. One more flight of stairs, and then... and then... then what?

I stopped in my tracks, my heart hammering in my chest. What the fuck was I going to do once I got to my room? Hide? Is that all I'm good at, running from my problems? I huffed, tears forming in my eyes; I'm tired of running. Thunder crashed and I yelped, a rattling noise coming from inside a nearby door. In my terror, I stepped away from the door instinctively, but then shook off my fear.

With shaky hands, I opened the door, lightning illuminating the floor and I spotted a small container. Slowly, I pushed the door fully open and picked up the bottle. It was my pain meds. So, this was where Yukio had kept them, but why here? I glanced at the door number, 666, you fucking sly bastard, under normal circumstances, I would've laughed. However, my hammering heart made me do otherwise. I dropped to the floor and broke out into tears.

This isn't how things were supposed to go, everything was over, now. Every last shred of hope that I'd held for my life has been ripped away from me, all because of a man I thought I could trust when I was younger. His face flashed through my mind and I cried out.

My eyes flickered over the pain meds, I could end this, right here, right now. No more suffering, no more worries, and no more causing pain to those around me. Thoughts of Yukio flickered through my mind and I faltered, could I really leave him behind?

Someone like you deserves to die.

I sobbed, clutching the bottle in my hands. I was too chicken to do something like this. That didn't make it any less desirable, however. As lightning flashed through the sky, sending shadows in every direction. I decided that I was done, no more, it's been nine years of hell. No matter the amount of time after, or the happiness I received, I'll always be scarred deeply. Broken objects remain broken after years of neglect, how am I any different?

Do it.

I unscrewed the cap and poured out the remaining contents of the bottle. There were around a dozen left, that had to be enough, right? I was no doctor, but this many opioids seemed fatal. I shakily got to my feet, just in time to hear small feet run up the stairs.