To Weep

My heart hammered in my chest and I feared it would break through if I got any more nervous. Which seemed impossible at the moment, not while I was at my wits end, my entire being frayed from the torturous hour of silence and suspense.

The woman took a deep breath, "we the jury, find the defendant guilty to the charges of statutory rape, and first degree sexual assault."

There was a loud holler behind me along with cheers of relief. However, my mouth wouldn't move, it hung open, no words coming forth. I stared at the woman, unsure if I heard correctly. The judge pounded her gavel and spoke over the ruckus of the crowd. "Court is adjourned, sentencing will be held at a later date. Have a good night." Sluggishly, my gaze followed her as she got down from her podium, exiting through a door to the left.

The cheers got louder behind me and I felt someone nudge me. I blinked and looked up at Masuda, his hand was outstretched and I instinctively grasped it. He shook my hand and smiled, "I'm happy for you, kid, go on and live knowing that he will pay for his crimes." He nudged his head backward and my eyes traveled past him.

Two men in uniform had Naito in cuffs and were carting him away. The man I've been terrified of for so many years, finally had a look of apprehension and fear in his eyes. My breathing hitched when his gaze met mine, his features growing dark.

I was suddenly hefted out of my seat, the warm embrace of my brother snapping me out of the haze I was under. "It's over, it's actually over." He said aloud, his voice was shaking, but oh so happy. I pulled away slightly and looked him at him fully. Tears were streaming down his face and a broad smile showed his brilliant teeth. "Nii-san? Are you okay?"

"I don't think it's set in yet..."

He laughed and pulled me into another hug, "it will, and when it does, it's the best feeling." I smiled against his dress shirt, warmth seeping from his body into mine.

It was over? It's done with?

I blinked a few times and Yukio grabbed my hand, pulling me toward the door. The rest of the group followed behind us, my friends cheering and Shima slapping my shoulder. "That bastard got what he deserved, I hope he gets the shit beat out of him in prison."

I turned to him slowly, my feet tripping slightly, "that can't happen in prison, though. There's guards and stuff..."

My pink headed friend smiled at me, the gesture holding a sense of malevolence. "The guards can only stop so much, prisoners can out number them by the thousands; depending on where you go. But," he huffed, that smile growing a little more wicked. "Not all prisoners are okay with the idea of rape, and it's kinda common for the accused rapist to get a taste of his own medicine." My eyes widened, "Im sure he'll get pretty fucked up, not only did he rape someone, he raped a kid."

I swallowed hard and returned my gaze to the front, where Yukio was pushing open the courtroom doors. It was still raining slightly, and it seemed to match my mood. While the others were ecstatic about the ruling and were hoping for a harsh punishment for him... I didn't really know where I stood. I was happy that he was gone, trust me. I couldn't be any more overjoyed at the ruling. However... Father Naito had been a good man beside the obvious. Now, he was being taken away, and he might even endure the hell I went through. The phrase is true about how I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy.

Yukio opened the passenger side door for me and I stepped inside, buckling my seatbelt. I stared outside my window while everyone else piled inside. They seemed to sense my troubled mind and kept their cheers quiet. "None of us could really eat before the trial, so we've missed lunch." Yukio stated, turning slightly to look at my classmates, "do you guys have money? We could stop somewhere to eat."