Chapter 4

"Hey Flame." He says into my hair. I hug him tighter. "Your going to suffocate me." He jokes as I let him out of my death trap. I can feel Cameron's eyes on me but I don't pay an mind as I lead Nash back to our table.

We sit down and Cam follows my every move.

"Hey Nash." Savannah and Kendall exchange friendly hellos. Nash's bright blue eyes and light up as he greets my friends. I can tell Cameron is mad because Nash is sitting between us.

"Can we switch seats really quick." I whisper into Nash's ear. Being the nice guy he is he switches with me making Cameron slightly less tense but he is not where we were earlier.

"Cameron, Mas, Jay this is Nash. Nash this Cameron, Mas and jay." I introduce them. Mas and Jay say hello but Cameron looks like he is about to grind his teeth off. I grab Cameron's hand under the table hopefully to get rid of some of the tension but he is squeezing my hand so hard, almost to the point at where is hurts.

We make small talk and Cameron's death grip never gets looser.

"So Nash how do you know Haley?"  Jay asks which peaks Cam's interest. 

"We were neighbors until I moved to Texas the summer before 9th grade." he says looking between me and the group with his little smile.

"How come we have never seen you?" Cameron snaps. Why does when he talk it has to be so rudely?

"Cam..." I warn quietly.

Nash ignores his rudeness, "I was homeschooled."

"Fucking prick." Cam says quietly but loud enough so we can all hear him.

"Cameron!" I almost scream before he stands up and throws his trash away. he walks madly out of the cafeteria with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"I'm sorry about him man." Mas apologizes for his friend's behavior.

"No, its fine." Then he turns to me, "is he your boyfriend?" I feel my cheeks heat up.

"No, no! Umm...were..." I try to explain our weird relationship.

"It's ok, I get it." He smiles at me before he pulls a sheet of paper out of his binder and giving it to me.

"We have AP lit and AP Chemistry together...." I slow down as I realize those are the only two classes I have with Cameron. I look around the table for possible help but everyone is engrossed in their own conversations.

"What?" Nash asks with a worried expression.

"Those are the classes I have with Cam." I say looking down at the table.

"OH, I see." is all he says as he runs his fingers threw his dark brown hair. Nash was always understanding, he always cared, and he never pushed things to far.

We all split up when the lunch bell rings.

-*-

The next day

-*-

I still sit with Cam in chemistry and I think he is surprised that I didn't sit with Nash. Partly because we have assigned seats, partly because I don't want him to feel bad, but mostly because I want to sit next to him. He didn't talk to me the entire class or last night and it really is making me feel bad.

"Cam, wait." I say before he can dart out of class. "What's wrong?" I grab his hand to prevent him from going to far.

"Nothing Haley. I have to go." he turns away from me and starts towards his next class.

He called me Haley. He must be really mad. He never calls me Haley. I cant think of why he would be mad though.

Sad for me but Nash didn't come to lunch today because he had to fill out the last of his paperwork. Cam sits with a whole bunch of cheerleaders and I can't help but feel slightly jealous. Am I the one taking this relationship to far? Am I overthinking this? Yes I am because Cameron Dallas doesn't date, he has sex and leaves.

When AP Lit rolls around I am more than happy to let Nash sit next to us at our table. I don't care that Cam keeps looking back here, I don't. Do I? No I don't.

"Cameron can you pass me my pencil." Oh nards. Nash's pencil rolls exactly near Cam's foot.

Cam observes it before picking it up and snapping it in half and throwing it behind to land on our table. I stare at him do this and then at Nash who is about to blow his top.

"You are such a child." Please stop. I look around for Ms. hemming who is of course in the restroom.

"I'm a fucking child?" Cam turns his head around.

"You heard me." Nash can blow his top any second. I look at Kendall and Savannah who are watching the scene just as intently as I am.

"Just shut the hell up." Cam snaps. Now the entire class is watching.

"Don't act like you can control her." How come this is all about me now?

cam stands up full rage printed on his face, "I don't act like I fucking control her jackass." cue Nash to stand.

"Yes you do! if she is not around you, you act like a fucking baby." Nash throws out there.

"You don't even know me! Its been two fuckin days."

"I know you alright." Cameron takes a step towards Nash and I involuntarily stand between them facing Cam.

"Cam, please stop." he looks down at me with anger in his eyes. The eyes that are usually a happy brown but are now a angered brown.

"Cameron, let's go." Mas finally says. Cameron gives Nash one more death stare before stomping out of the class. I look around and everyone is staring and suddenly I fell two inches tall.

-*-

It' been a week. Cam has been missing for a week. he's 18, we cant stop him. everyone is trying to calm me down but have been hysterical all week. Anne says he does this allot, and it bothers me. I go to school everyday and I don't see him. I don't see him at home. I don't see him any where.

"He will be back."

"Stop crying, don't worry."

"Haley, he does this all the time."

The stupid failing encouragement words are in my mind every minute of every day. I know he is sleeping with people, I know he is drinking. My mind just won't let  believe he might be doing all of this stuff. I wonder if he knows that I cant talk to anyone, no even Nash. I haven't seen Cam since that day.

"Haley. You care to much. He cares to much. You guys cant be away from each other." Travis' words were my favorite I think just because I don't think we can be alone for to long.