Chapter 23

Tim POV: 

This time is more like a nightmare than last time. Last time I had more control, and I had Audrey... It's like all my fears are being displayed here... 

A memory plays, one in which Audrey's father was there. He had somehow managed to escape Parchman, and was with us for about a year. A week after she and I split for the second time, he died of the injuries he obtained there at Parchman. He never told us, but he apparently also had a large, cancerous tumor in his brain which had his days numbered to start with. 

This memory is one that has stuck with me... He walks alongside me, helping me with the physical therapy Audrey normally assisted with. I sweat, trying hard to stay balanced, while he has a hand on my back, helping me stay upright. 

"What's Audrey doing again?" I ask, panting and cringing. 

"Slow down." He directs, "And she's visiting her step-parents." He continues, making my stomach twist. He notices my expression and stops. "I told her not to go, but she decided to. I guess she's trying to mend old wounds." He explains. "Tim, can I be honest with you for a moment?" He asks. I nod, sitting down for a moment. He sits down beside me, and sighs. "You're going to make an incredible father one day." He releases, patting my back. 

"They don't think I can have kids." I confess, my stomach churning at the words. He cringes, before staring at me. 

"Never know until you try." He tries to challenge. I nod, before he sighs. "You're good for her." He informs me. "You've made her feel more love than I think she's ever felt before... Just... Make sure you take care of her, alright?" He requests. I nod quickly, before the memory fades away. 

The image changes to she and I lying in bed, her head on my chest, as the morning light forces it's way in. She smiles at the sun, before propping her head up and giving me a kiss, her bare shoulder peaking up from under the covers. She pulls back for a moment, smiling brightly at me. She looks like she's in her mid-thirties. She's still young and flawless... her skin tanner, and her hair brown, but still flawless... My hair is a little longer, a full goatee speckled with the shadow of gray hairs. My hand rests on the small of her back, the other pinching her chin. She bites her lip, sighing comfortably, before someone knocks on the door. 

"Mr and Mrs McGraw?" They call out, making her blush. 

"Yeah?" She shouts back, looking back over her shoulder toward the door, while I'm too caught up in her to care. 

"Your car will be here in about ten minutes to take you for rehearsals." They inform us, or I guess her, since I'm not listening to a damn thing they say. 

"Thank you!" She replies, as I lean forward to kiss her neck. She giggles, before falling down on me. 

We get ready slowly, flirting the entire time. She puts on my LSU sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, while I am forced to wear a nice dress shirt and jeans since I have an interview while she rehearses. She buttons up my shirt, before giving me a kiss and grabbing my hand, leading me out of our hotel room. 

We stand in the elevator, until the doors close. I turn to face her, before kissing her, our 21 floor decent offering us a moment. She backs up against the wall of the elevator and wraps her arms around my head, pulling me in tighter. I pull back as I hear the chime of the elevator, grabbing her hand to lead her to the car. People in the lobby give us looks, as I notice both of our lips look pink, due to her tinted chapstick she's been applying religiously lately. I rub it off while we walk out to the car. She holds my hand the entire car ride, and looks out the window with a certain sense of wonder I can't exactly explain. The city, the buildings, the people... they all seem to thrill her.