According to Plan

"Can we please do something about the incessant ringing? It's driving me nuts," Diana complains, rolling off the couch and onto the carpeted floor. She blinks up at me, a silent plea in her dark green eyes.

I smirk down at her, leaning forward a little, "We could go answer it, but Stefan would hate us forever."

Diana rolls her eyes, shaking her head at me as she sits up, crawling across the carpet so that she can rest her chin on my knee. I brush a few blonde curls out of her face, letting my hand linger on her cheek. "Stefan already hates us, Damon. Why not add one more reason to the list?"

"It's probably Elena," I say as we head up the stairs towards Stefan's bedroom. The water in the hall bathroom is running and I can hear soft music playing from the stereo my brother keeps in there. He's one of those 'sort out all of life's problems in the shower' kinds of people. He could be in there for ages, leaving Diana and I plenty of time to talk to whoever keeps calling him.

"I'm sure she's in some kind of trouble again," Diana says lazily, throwing her body over Stefan's bed.

My little brother's phone sits on the side table; the screen is illuminated with Elena's name. Picking it up, I sit down on the bed next to Diana, who instantly places her head in my lap. Running my fingers through her hair, I answer the phone.

"I'm supposed to help build the Miss Mystic float for the Founder's Day parade," Elena dives right in once I've answered. "If I don't I get the wrath of Caroline, but I wanted to check in first."

I smirk, "Well, I'm doing great, thanks for asking."

For a second, Elena is quiet, obviously taken aback by the very not Stefan voice that answered the phone. "I'm checking on Stefan."

"Oh him?" I grimace down at Diana who silently laughs at my facial expression. "He's....he's terrible."

"What's the matter?" Elena's tone changes quickly, an aura of concern lacing her words. It's rather comical just how fast she becomes worried about her beloved Stefan. It's as if she thinks he's completely incapable of taking care of himself when she's not around.

"He's just back to boring, strait – laced, off the junk. You successfully cured him of anything that was interesting about his personality."

"Don't forget who helped me." Elena chides back.

I let out a long sigh, rolling my eyes into the back of my head, "I hate myself."

From her spot on the bed, Diana sits up, putting her lips close to my ear, "Ask if she's talked to her uncle."

I nod, pressing my lips to Diana's cheek for a second, "Hey, did uncle John mention anything to you about my field trip with the history teacher?"

As I wait for Elena's answer, I sit up. Dina crawls up behind me, her legs appearing on either side of mine. I place my free hand on her bare thigh as she begins to massage my shoulders, her lips trailing over the exposed skin of my neck.

"No," Elena responds. "I've still been avoiding him. Why? What's he up to?"

"I don't know, but I'd love it if you could find out for me." I answer as Stefan enters the room, still working a towel through his damp hair. He raises an eyebrow, his eyes fixed on the phone. Diana smiles over at him, fluttering her fingers in a greeting.

"I gotta go. I'm late," Elena says quickly, conveniently avoiding any further conversation about her uncle.

"Have fun with the Mystic queen," I answer with a smirk. "I know I did."