Betrayal

"It's impolite to stare," I announce my presence in the ballroom.

Damon tears his eyes away from Stefan and Katherine, grinning as he sees me. "It's also impolite to sneak up on people."

Grinning, I offer the dark-haired gentleman my hand. He takes it, lips lingering on the skin for a moment longer than needed, "Why don't we stop breaking the rules of society and show your brother how to properly do the minuet."

"Are you asking me to dance," Damon questions with a smirk.

"It didn't appear you were going to ask me."

With no rebuttal, Damon leads me to the middle of the ballroom, his hand resting on my hip, "Your disregard for social formalities is going to being to raise questions miss Diana."

Lifting my head I stare into Damon's ocean blue eyes, "And your love for my sister is going to cause you nothing but pain. Though, I suppose we all have our flaws."

Jeremy crosses the wooden dance floor, reaching out and grabbing Katherine by the arm. Elena's doppelganger spins around. From my vantage point on the porch, I can see each movement, hear every word. Despite Damon's warnings to avoid Katherine, I stay ready to intervene if something starts to go south.

"What is it, Jeremy?" Katherine questions, one hand resting on her hip.

Jeremy stands his ground, eyes locked on the vampire standing in front of him. If Elena's little brother is scared, he's not showing it, "I have a message from Stefan."

"Oh?"

"He and Damon want you to meet them at the edge of the lake by the woods," Jeremy relays. "The brought the moonstone."

Katherine glances around, searching for any sign that what Jeremy is saying isn't true. Thankfully, both Damon and Stefan are safely hidden in a room upstairs, waiting for Katherine to fall into their trap, "And why are you their little messenger?"

"Because they know I'm not afraid of you," Jeremy answers back with a smug smile.

"Ohh, you Gilbert men, so courageous. How's John, by the way?" Katherine reaches forward, running her fingers over Jeremy's tie. "Were they able to sew his fingers back on?"

That's far enough. Katherine isn't allowed to turn tonight around on anyone, especially not Jeremy. He's done nothing to her. His involvement in this is strictly as the messenger. He might not even be standing out there on the dance floor with Katherine if it wasn't for me. After everything with Mason, I'd promised Jeremy there would be no more keeping things from him. If he wanted to be involved it was fine. I'd even made a point of telling him that he could leave at any time. A sense of responsibility bubbles up inside of me as I rush across the Lockwoods' backyard.

Gently, I place my hand on Jeremy's shoulder. He doesn't even look surprised to see me, as if he knew I'd be somewhere, waiting in the wings to catch him if he needed me to, "That's enough Katherine, leave him alone."

Katherine smirks, letting out a cruel laugh, "I never pegged you as one to get involved with someone like him. Tell me, Diana, do you have to compel him to spend time with you or is he really as stupid as he looks?"

Taking a step forward, I put myself between Jeremy and Katherine. "I wouldn't start a fight here, Katherine. Damon's already in a mood after you ruined our night. He's likely to withdraw his offer if you don't hurry."

Out of clever remarks, Katherine frowns, running her fingers along Jeremy's chest as she heads off towards the lake.

"I was doing fine," Jeremy announces once Katherine is out of view.