Witch of Their Own

John Gilbert sits at the bar with Alaric, the two exchanging forced conversation. No one wants this guy here. The sooner I can get Jonathan talking the better. Any way to make Elena's father's trip even a second shorter benefits the whole town. He's a menace to society and a threat to every supernatural being living in Mystic Falls. As I go to walk down the steps into the general seating area, Elena stops me, a hand pressed firmly to my chest.

"We're just here to get answers. Don't do anything stupid."

Ugh. It's going to be one of those days. I'm beginning to regret sending Diana to deal with her Jeremy issue. Elena is usually less outspoken with the blonde around. "Yeah, but stupid is so much more fun."

"Diana isn't here, you don't need to impress her with this bad boy act," Elena reprimands. As if my personality is some kind of show meant to impress a woman who has loved me for centuries. I'm the bad guy, the guy who kills people just for kicks. The sooner Elena understands that the better.

Rolling my eyes, I lean against the stair railing, "What if it's not an act?"

"I mean it, Damon," Stefan's girlfriend answers, giving me a stern look. She really isn't going to drop this. "All I'm asking is that you try and keep it together. Be the better man."

I grimace at the female standing before me. I've never been the bigger man, well, at least not in the sense she's talking about. No part of me wants to change that, especially not for my brother's girlfriend who is convinced she has some kind of power over me. "Okay, then." Together we walk over to where John and Alaric sit. I place a hand on Elena's father's shoulder. "John, buddy...how have you been?"

"I've been all right, Damon," John answers giving me a half smile as Alaric and Elena moving away to greet Jenna. "It's good to see you."

Sinking into a bar stool, I order a bourbon, downing half the drink before turning to the man on my right, "So, John, rumor has it that you know a lot and won't say anything."

"How do I know you can be trusted, Damon?" Jonathan challenges. "Originals can compel vampires according to Stefan. That's why Katherine is still in the tomb because an Original has compelled her to stay there."

I hate that Stefan has told John any of our business, "Only because all of the vervain has left her system."

"So how do I know you little girlfriend hasn't compelled you to do the Originals bidding?" John steps in before I can say more on the subject.

How would Diana be able to compel anyone? She's not an Original unless being turned by one automatically gives you the same powers, but I doubt that's how it works. There's no way the witches who spelled the Original curse would have given vampires that much power, "Diana isn't an Original. Besides, no Original can compel Stefan and I because we are chock full of vervain."

"You guys are drinking vervain?" John seems especially interested in this small detail.

Lifting my glass to my lips, I take a small sip as I nod, "Stefan, Diana, and myself." I shrug. "It's an acquired taste." Glancing down at John's hand, I notice that Jeremy still hasn't given back the revival ring. "I don't see that magic ring on your stitched finger, so if you know something about Klaus, you better start talking, or I will kill you in your sleep."

"Now, is that any way to convince me that you and I are on the same side?" Jonathan scoffs. "First, I need to know that I can trust you Damon, and not just you, all three of you, that I can count on you. Once I know that we'll talk." John stands, walking away.

I can feel her eyes on me, piercing a hole in the back of my head. Electricity radiates across the room, causing the hairs on my arms to stand. I wonder how much she heard, how she feels about John accusing her of manipulating me. Before I'm able to turn in her direction, Jenna's hand curls around my shoulder. She smiles, glancing behind her at a brunette female.