Chapter 8

“Detective Park! What can I do for you this glorious spring day?” the sub-editor of ILLUMINAI greeted the older man and his partner, Detective Lee.

The detectives stepped into the cool, beige-themed office and looked around the neat room, approving the chic interior. They seated themselves opposite the younger man, who was trying to look as cheerful as possible.

“I’ll cut to the chase Mr Choi. We don’t have any time to spare beating around the bush,” Park said.

Ha Kyung’s smile slipped a little but didn’t falter. “Of course! Anything you need,” he replied.

“I’m told you were the only outsider to visit Big Hit on the day Mr Kim received a death threat,” the detective began, watching Ha Kyung carefully. The sub-editor remained unfazed and nodded.

“That’s correct. I was asked to collect their copy of the schedule for the fan meet,” he said without any hesitation.

Detective Park rummaged through the folder he was carrying and produced an envelope with a single sheet of paper inside.” Any idea what this is?” he asked.

Ha Kyung shook his head and the detective didn’t detect any change in his demeanor.

“This was delivered on that very day. No clues regarding who may have left it. No one else was spotted there,” he continued, "apart from you, that is.”

Ha Kyung straightened at this. “Are you insinuating something detective?” he asked, a little more roughly than he had intended to.

“We did a little background check on you and guess what we found. A teeny bit of dislike for idols. If your rally against them is anything to go by,” Detective Park said, studying the change that was beginning to come over Ha Kyung.

The younger man stared at him for a moment and then burst out laughing.   “That was years ago! It was a harmless protest against the absolutely ridiculous standards some idol groups were setting,” he let out, thinking back to five years ago when a series of reports regarding trends set by a few idol groups, leading to unnatural obsessions, had surfaced, sparking his anger. On impulse, he had joined one of his friends in her endeavors to tide the growing fixation by attempting to make the groups aware of this issue. 

“Even I realize now how childish and immature that was. I hold no grudges against them,” he continued. "Hell, I even listen to some of them.”

“Was someone you know personally affected by these trends as you put it?” Park asked, ignoring his denial.

“I really don’t get how this is related-"

“Just answer the question Mr. Choi,” Detective Lee cut in.

Ha Kyung sighed. “No. No one I knew then was into K-pop. Like I said, it was on impulse.”

“This magazine seems to have quite a few impulsive employees I see,” Park remarked wryly.

“What can I say? And if you don’t mind me asking, have you released the woman you arrested?” Ha Kyung asked, changing the subject.

“We can’t. She’s a suspect and for now our best lead,” Lee replied.

“I was worried when Min Sun Ah, my cousin, told me. Can’t even trust who you live with,” Ha Kyung said, trying to sound light-hearted.

Detective Park’s head instantly shot up. “Min Sun Ah? The woman named Min Sun Ah is your cousin?” he asked sharply.

Ha Kyung was surprised at the sudden rise in pitch. “Yes. I guess it never came up huh,” he said uncertainly.

Detective Park was silent, wrapping his head around this newest development. The detectives had nothing more to ask Ha Kyung and rose to leave, thanking him for his time.