Chapter 22

“What the hell just happened?” Hoseok looked around in confusion as the entire hall descended into darkness. Anxious whispers erupted all around them as the panicked crowd attempted to make sense of the abrupt blackout.

“Some kind of a power failure I guess.” Yoongi muttered as he surveyed the dark hall.

Using the torchlight feature of his cell phone, he made his way to the doors leading out of the room and stepped out into the hallway which was dimly lit. The backup generators must have kicked in.

He returned with a somber look on his face as he faced the puzzled members. “I don’t know what’s going on, but I think it would be wise if we evacuated as calmly as possible. Let’s not take any chances.” he said in a low voice.

Just then, Seokjin’s ringtone blared through the darkness, making the others jump.

“Namjoon?” he said as jarring noises muffled the rapper’s voice.

“…hyung I’m stuck in the elevator.” He could hear Namjoon’s erratic tone as alarm gripped him.

“Which floor?” he asked urgently, enabling the speaker on his phone. As the others huddled close to listen, they could hear Namjoon’s fretful voice.

“The 25th floor. I’ve been trying to pry it open, but I guess a cutter attached to a keychain isn’t the best option.” he laughed drily.

Yoongi cursed loudly as he wandered off in search of anything that might come in handy.

“Okay Namjoon-ah listen carefully. We’ll be right there you hear me?” Seokjin almost yelled. But the line had gone dead.

Yoongi returned with an axe, its jagged edge enhancing its sturdiness. Jimin raised his eyebrows as he studied the object. “And just where did you find that?”

Yoongi shrugged. “I guess they must have a lot of fires in this place. Smashed it out of the glass cabinet next to the extinguisher.”

Hoseok looked impressed, eyeing Yoongi with unmasked admiration.

“Is that important right now?” Taehyung said, his feet twitching in impatience.

“Tae’s right. We should hurry.” Jimin stated.

“Wait. Not all of us. Some of us should stay here and help these people.” Yoongi said.

Just then, Sung Na came running towards them, holding her phone to her ear. “I’ve informed the police just in case this turns out to be a major emergency.”

“I could kiss you right now!” Taehyung said hugging her tightly. Seokjin rolled his eyes as Jimin looked around for Sun Ah.

“But what about the rest of the tower?”Jungkook asked.

“It’s a business complex and since it’s a Saturday night, most of it is deserted.” Ha Kyung strode towards them with Sun Ah and In Kyung in tow. Jimin hugged the former while Yoongi squeezed In Kyung’s hand.

“The most number of people are in this room. So we don’t have to worry.” he assured them. “And for all we know, this might just be a temporary power failure.”

“But I don’t get it. If the tower has a backup generator, why are the elevators not working?” Taehyung voiced what they were all thinking.

“Unfortunately, the power of the generators doesn’t extend to the elevators because they require extra jolts of electricity to charge up.” Ha Kyung replied gravely. When Yoongi raised his eyebrows, Ha Kyung gave an exasperated sigh. “What? I examined the schematics of the building.”