Chapter 12

"You needed inspiration for your new art project. Well, here we are!” Jimin said with forced enthusiasm, flailing his arms about to indicate the scenery he was referring to.

Sun Ah could glean the discomfort in his voice as she followed him deeper into the alcove.

“So we’re seriously going to ignore what just happened?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Now what could you be talking about I wonder.” Jimin tried to smile but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“You know what I mean. Namjoon oppa and the fact that you completely zoned out.” she replied. She faced him, her face the mask of puzzlement.

“Wait a minute. You aren’t embarrassed by me, are you?” Sun Ah placed her hands on her hips and stared Jimin down. He sighed as he walked up to her.

“That’s absurd. His presence just caught me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting him to be here.”

Sun Ah’s face changed as the realization dawned on her. “They don’t know, do they? About me?” she asked quietly.

Jimin knew he couldn’t talk his way out of this one. Sun Ah was way too sprightly for him sometimes.

“There never seemed to be the right time to tell them. And things have been complicated lately, what with Namjoon hyung being constantly attacked by some psycho.” he let out, hoping she would understand.

Sun Ah remained silent, taking off her sandals to dip her toes in the stream. “I’m not upset. We’re just friends so it’s not a big deal I guess.” she said after a while.

Jimin failed to understand why his heart twisted at those words and was about to say something when Sun Ah interrupted him. “Speaking of Namjoon oppa, who was that woman with him?”

Jimin was flummoxed for a few seconds, struggling to force down the words that had been about to spill from his mouth. “In Ha Noona? That’s the woman I was telling you about. The one who took a bullet for Hyung.”

Sun Ah grinned at this, her hair gleaming in the light cast by the setting sun.” Aha! I thought she looked familiar.” When Jimin looked bemused, she laughed. “She’s my cousin’s colleague. Ha Kyung oppa remember?”

Jimin nodded recollecting her relation to the sub-editor of ILLUMINAI.

“How incredibly romantic though!” She giggled like a little girl, eliciting a laugh from Jimin who was finding it extremely difficult to keep his baffling feelings at bay around her these days. Her eyes sparkled as they held his and he moved towards her instinctively. It was easy to be around her. So delightfully easy.

Before he could voice what he had come to realize a few days ago, a ear-splitting screech penetrated the air.

Jimin’s head snapped around as Sun Ah jogged to his side, her art gear slung over her shoulder. “What the hell was that?” she asked, her eyes darting around.

Jimin crept towards the entrance to the alcove and his mouth went dry when he saw the cause of the sound.

Someone was shooting arrows at Namjoon and In Ha who were currently taking shelter behind a parked van. Sun Ah was at his side at once, taking in the scene with a growing sense of horror.

“Stay here and call the police.”Jimin said, looking at her intently. "And whatever you do, don’t come after me. Not until it’s safe.”

Sun Ah was about to protest but changed her mind, nodding instead.

“Be safe!” she called out, pulling out her phone to dial Detective Park’s number.    
                             ***
“I keep trying to create some kind of comfort zone around us, but it keeps turning into an action flick.” Namjoon gave a hard laugh, sticking close to In Ha behind the van which was their only source of defense.