Chapter 14

“What exactly will this accomplish Mr Kim?” Joo Jung Hyuk’s voice was lined with irritation at the rapper’s request which had sounded more like a command.

Namjoon looked at him tersely. “Well, our agencies are on such good terms with each other that a little bit of assistance shouldn’t be much of a problem right?”

“Unless there’s a reason you can’t show us the records.” Taehyung said.

In Ha and Sung Na had gone completely silent, straining to hear every word.

Jung Hyuk was instantly defensive. “Of course not! I’ll show you what you asked to see.”

He walked over to the shelf where In Ha and Sung Na had just been a few minutes ago and pulled out the file they had been carefully scrutinizing.

“Here are the list of people who checked out at the time you mentioned.” Joo Hyuk said, handing the file over to Namjoon. The rapper scanned the names and looked up in surprise.

“Only two people?”

Joo Hyuk shrugged, wiping away the sweat from his forehead. “We were on a tight schedule that day. Nobody was allowed to leave except in cases of emergencies.”

“Ji Kang and his manager Kim Joong Sook? They were the ones who were absent the entire afternoon?” Taehyung asked.

“So we read correctly. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw his name on the list.” Sung Na whispered to In Ha, who beckoned to her to stay silent, listening intently.

Joo Hyuk raised his hands in defense. “Don’t ask me where they went. Apparently Mr Kang isn’t inclined to tell me everything.”

“And why should I? I’ll have you know that wherever I went, it certainly didn’t involve any life-threatening car chase.” a deep voice called out from the slightly ajar door.

Ji Kang walked in, dressed in workout gear with a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. His hair was matted with sweat and he flexed his wrists as he approached them. In Ha couldn’t see him from where they were hidden, but she recognized his voice just the same.

Namjoon met his gaze steadily.” Care to explain where you were then? Because I know for a fact that you’ve never liked Big Hit. Or us.” he said pointedly.

“So you think I decided to act on it and impede Big Hit’s success by targeting its most popular artists?  You think I’d be holding a grudge because Big Hit rejected me all those years ago? That’s absurd!” Ji Kang declared, looking from Namjoon to Taehyung.

“I didn’t say that. I merely asked you to explain where you were.” Namjoon retorted.

“Unfortunately for you, I’m not obligated to do that.”Ji Kang returned snidely.

Joo Hyuk walked over to the incensed artist and laid a placating hand on his shoulder. He whispered in Ji Kang’s ear, causing the latter to clear his throat as he faced Namjoon.

“Well, if you must know, I was invited for lunch by the sub-editor of ILLUMINAI and was asked to meet him and their videographer as well as the Fashion head.” he said.

In Ha and Sung Na stiffened, turning to give each other dazzled looks. This was news to them.

Namjoon looked quizzical too, staring at Ji Kang questioningly.”Why?”

“Because we have a contract with them, that’s why. And before you ask, yes it was a complete coincidence that the pub we met up at is directly across the street from the café.” Ji Kang continued.