25

Kade could tell exactly who trusted him, and exactly who didn't. He had actually gained a sliver of respect for the two former soldiers, Jasper Ende and Bennet DeGrae. Kade had always been masterful at making people see exactly what he wanted them to, but those two and a handful of others seemed to be able to see past his manipulations. He winked and raised his glass toward them across the common room of the inn, smirking as Jasper huffed and turned away. Kade turned back to the conversation several of the rebels were having about missing family members, the first of the nearby hearth warming the deep set chill he'd felt since the moments he'd jumped into the river.

No, he hadn't battled with the current for miles before washing up on the river's edge conveniently close to where the rebels were camped. He had, instead, followed them at a distance after they left the caravan massacre behind, biding his time as he formulated a plan. He'd watched them from afar, keep his attention trained mostly on the Elvy girl. Zephyr. The silver haired pixie of a girl who seemed to have no idea what lay in store for her.

Kade took a long drink from his mug of ale, relishing its bitter flavor. As he leaned forward to place the mug on the table before him a slash of pain stabbed up his leg. The sword wound was most definitely an inconvenience. He had wanted to portray himself as innocent and helpless when he was found by the rebels, but now he wished he'd made the cut a little less dramatic. After days of walking on the wounded leg, the prospect of a night in a soft, warm bed seemed magnificent. It was this thought alone that propelled Kade up out of his chair by the hearth and toward the stairs leading up to the rooms.

He reached the stairs the same moment that Zephyr came out of the washroom just a few feet away. Her eyes met his, flitted toward the stairs, then to his injured leg.

"Do you need some help?" she asked him, her face slightly shadowed by the dim lighting of the room.

"If you're headed up. I was actually dreading the climb a bit," he said as she nodded and slipped his right arm over her small shoulders. She smelled wonderful, like soap and fresh laundry, her hair still damp from bathing. Kade was suddenly aware of just how much he himself could use a good bath, and part of him regretted his decision to head on up to his room. He and Zephyr were already half way up the stairs now though and sleep was beckoning more and more.

Kade winced with each step up on his bad leg and was genuinely grateful that the girl had offered to help him. When they reached the landing at the top, Zephyr slipped from under his arm and turned to face him.

"Are you okay the rest of the way on your own? My room is right here."

Kade nodded.

"Thank you," he said earnestly. She smiled that small smile she always used before turning and entering a room on the left side of the hallway.

Nice girl, Kade thought to himself as he hobbled toward his room that he would be sharing with Frederick Deveraux and a couple other members of their group at the other end of the hall. It's a shame the queen is going to hate her.

~

Jasper thought that maybe the second drink had been a bad idea. It was a small, annoying thought, but a thought nonetheless. He took another sip. The second drink had improved his mood though. That was a less annoying thought. He'd have to thank Bennet.

"Thank you, Bennet."

His friend laughed. "Don't thank me, Jas. I didn't realize you hadn't eaten anything or I wouldn't have bought us another round." Jasper thought about this, nodding slowly. Bennet slapped his hands gently on the rough wood of the table.

"I'm going to go grab you something from the kitchens, maybe pick up a couple glasses of water. You stay put."

Jasper nodded again. He wasn't quite drunk, but he was well on his way, and this thought also annoyed him. He knew better. He was sober enough to realize that at least. And sober enough to realize how utterly stupid it had been for him to feel that pang of jealousy when he'd seen Zephyr put Kade's arm around her shoulders before helping the injured man up the stairs. He had no right to feel jealous. Jealousy was a stupid, useless emotion.