33

Slowly, so slowly, Jasper pulled open the barn door. Just enough to peek inside. It was dark, empty even of animal life. He slipped inside, Zephyr latched on and following close behind, thunder crashing through the sky behind them. Once inside, Jasper turned to press the door closed. He wanted to laugh when he turned back to see Zephyr, barely visible in the dark of the barn, standing there, soaked and shaking like a wet kitten. He wanted to laugh, but he didn't, and not to spare her feelings. He felt so off today, so... high strung. He couldn't pinpoint it, but it was taking everything in him not to take whatever this was out on Zephyr. He didn't want to take it out on her, he never wanted to be angry with her. But every time she looked at him the way she had been the last couple of days... He couldn't take it.

Jasper's every impulse sang to him to pull her into his arms in that moment, to brush the clinging strands of hair from her cheeks. It was becoming more and more difficult to banish those types of thoughts from his head.

Turning away from Zephyr, Jasper dropped his cloak full of wood to the ground, unleashing the branches and twigs to wring out the water from the cloak. He then pulled off his jacket, squeezing the water from it as well. Thankfully his shirt had stayed dry. He turned back to see Zephyr out of her own cloak. She wrang water from her hair, but he could see that her tunic was dripping, soaked all the way through. Her attempts to wring it dry were completely unsuccessful. Unable to watch her in discomfort, Jasper pulled his shirt off, holding it out toward where she stood.

Zephyr blinked at him, staring blatantly before comprehension dawned on her features. "Oh," she breathed, quickly taking the shirt. "Thank you." She gave him that blasted small smile again before turning away. Jasper barely had time to realize what she was doing as she began to lift the bottom of her tunic before he turned, fire burning every inch of his face. He barely kept from cursing under his breath.

Several long moments passed before she spoke, her voice soft and small, a compliment to the rain pattering the roof. "That's much better." Jasper turned to face her. She was fully clothed again, but the sight of Zephyr in those fitted trousers and his own blasted shirt that hung just past her hips, her hands fumbling together in the hem - Jasper almost came undone. A strand of steel-colored hair clinging to her temple, her eyes brilliant even on a night so dark, open wide and holding the hint of a question. Looking at him, imploring him, wanting so much from him but unwilling to ask for anything. It was the last straw. He cursed, and then wanted to wring his own neck when Zephyr's eyes went wide. She took a step toward him, her hand tentatively outstretched in an offering of some sort.

"I'm sorry," Jasper said, turning away to grab his still damp jacket and cloak. He swung both on and made for the barn door. "I just... I can't do this. I need to be alone for a while. I'm sorry." With that he rushed from the dry barn back out into the storm.

~

Zephyr stood, still as the air surrounding her. What had just happened? Sure, Jasper had been acting strange all day, but he had never been short with her. He was usually so even-tempered. What had changed?

Still standing where he had left her, Zephyr felt helpless. She hadn't the slightest clue what to do, how to fix whatever was wrong. Of course she couldn't fix something when she didn't understand what the problem was. That thought gave rise to her anger. She didn't know what Jasper's issue was, but she was going to find out. They weren't going to let something sit like this between them and hope for the best. Grabbing her own cloak and wrenching it on, Zephyr stormed outside after him.

The initial downpour of the storm seemed to have abated, the rain now fell steadily but no longer felt like icy needles on her skin. It did still immediately soak through Jasper's shirt though. So much for that, she thought, her eyes scanning the area around the barn as she flipped the hood of the cloak up over her wet hair. The moons were barely visible, their light hiding behind black clouds that rolled across the darkened sky. Zephyr turned toward the farmhouse and other buildings off to her left, but immediately decided that Jasper wouldn't have risked going that way. That left the other side of the barn. She followed along the side of the building until she reached the corner. Peaking around, she could barely make out a stiff figure leaning back against the worn wood.