Chapter 11

Rachel’s POV

“So what’s next on your list?” Niall asks as we walk down the street. He hadn’t let go of my hand after we left Wal-Mart. Not that I minded, it was just causing my heart to beat fast and make me feel lightheaded.

“Umm” I say biting my lip, thinking off my list.“The only one we’d be able to do right now is see a shooting star but the sky looks a bit cloudy so I doubt we’d see anything” I say looking up at the sky.

“Oh” he says deflated. “Well, would you like to do something else then?” he asks hopefully.

“Like what?” I ask. He starts looking down the street, trying to find something to do when his eyes finally land on a shop.

“Ice cream” he says with a grin pulling me along to stand in front of the ice cream parlor.

“I think they are trying to close up for the night” I say with a laugh, looking inside and seeing them put the chairs up on the tables.

“Well then we will just get it to go” he says opening the door. “After you” he adds with a grin. We walk up to the counter and I peer down at the different flavors.

“I’ll have the Moose tracks” I tell the lady behind the counter.

“I’ll take a chocolate” Niall adds. She makes our cones and we head over to the cash register. I reach to pull out my wallet but Niall beats me to it. “I’ve got it” he says with a smile. I start to protest that I can pay for myself and I didn’t need him paying for me but he cuts me off. “Please, my treat” he says giving me a smile, his eyes twinkling as he looks down at me. I open my mouth to protest again but nothing comes out so instead I just nod, feeling myself melt under his gaze. He gives the lady some money and we walk out of the parlor. We walk in silence for a couple of minutes; the only sound is the slap of our shoes on the pavement and the occasional car passing by. “I miss this” he says suddenly.

I look up at him “What do you mean?” I ask.

“This” he says gesturing, making sure his ice cream doesn’t fall. “Being able to walk around without getting swarmed. Being able to hang out with someone without fans rushing up or the boys constantly checking up on me”

“Speaking of the boys, how did you get away from them anyways?” I ask with a laugh. “And how come they aren’t checking up on you now?” He pulls his phone out of his pocket, a sheepish expression on his face.

“I turned it off when I left and I told them I was going to get food”

I giggle slightly “They are probably worried sick about you” I say. He shrugs.

“I’d rather be here with you” he says with a half smile causing me to blush. I was glad it was dark so he couldn’t see how red I had turned. “So what is moose tracks anyways?” he asks looking at my ice cream cone

“What?” I gasp. “You don’t know the deliciousness that is moose tracks?” I ask flabbergasted. “It’s vanilla ice cream with peanut butter cups and fudge sauce in it” I say taking a lick with a smile.

“Sounds good” he says taking a lick of his own.

“Would you like to dry it?” I ask innocently offering him the cone. He bends down to take a lick and the next thing he knows there is ice cream all over his face. I start laughing at his shocked expression.The expression quickly changes to a mischievous look though and before I could react, I had ice cream all over my face also.

“You didn’t” I gasp wiping what I could off with my hand. He just laughs, handing me a napkin that he had grabbed from the parlor as he wipes off his own face. I wipe off my face “Did I get it all?” I ask looking up at him. He shakes his head, an amused expression on his face.

“You missed a spot right here” he says brushing his cheek. I wipe the spot he indicated to.

“Is it gone?” I ask again resulting in another shake of his head.

“Here let me get it” he says gently dabbing at my cheek with the napkin. I feel my heart speed up when I feel a brush of his fingers. “There” he says softly dropping his hand to his side as he looks up from my cheek to meet my eyes. I hold my breath, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. Damn it why does he have to do this to me? I think.I feel a drop on my face. It breaks the eye contact as I curiously wipe my face. Another drop hits my hand and I look up at the sky.

“Is it…” I start saying before the sky opens up and rain starts pouring down on us. I let out a shriek as we race the few blocks to the hotel where One Direction was staying. We run under the overhang outside the hotel and come to a halt leaning on each other to catch our breath. I look out at the rain and feel Niall’s arm slide around my waist pulling me closer to him. I lean my head on his shoulder, feeling his damp shirt under my head. “Thank you” I say still looking out at the rain. “For all this, for tonight, for everything.” I say turning my head to look at him. He nods looking out at the rain also, before turning to look at me. He shifts so I’m no longer leaning against him but instead I’m facing him, his arm trailing down mine until he’s left holding my hand.

“Can I see you again tomorrow?” he asks his voice husky. I nod, biting my lip, not trusting my voice. He smiles a small smile and I let go of his hand, stepping out into the rain and heading to my car. “Rachel, wait” he says taking a few steps out into the rain and grabbing my arm again. I turn to face him and feel his lips crash against mine. His hands wrap around my waist, pulling me closer and mine wrap around his neck, our lips moving in sync. We break apart and I stumble a step back in shock. “I’ll see you tomorrow” he says with a smile before turning and jogging back inside. I stand there dumbfounded, watching as he heads back inside before turning to my car. I fumble with my keys, adrenaline racing through my veins, the kiss replaying in my head as I drive home.