Chapter 13

Rachel’s POV

I hear a knock on my door. “Just a sec” I call out as I pull on my pajama shirt. “Ok” I say when I’m fully clothed. My mom walks into the room.

“How was everything?” she asks.

“It was great” I say with a grin “He’s helping me with my Bucket list” I tell her. She studies my face and gives me a tired smile.

“Honey, be careful with this boy” She says sitting on the edge of my bed.

“I mean, I’m worried that you might be falling for this boy to fast.” She says cautiously.

“What do you mean?” I ask sitting down beside her.

“I mean, you’ve only known him for two days, he’s going to be going back to his home soon, I just don’t want you to get too attached” she says. I nod, knowing she’s right. I knew they weren’t here for long, it had just never occurred to me what that meant. That he would be leaving me soon. “I love you sweetie, sweet dreams” she says giving me a hug before leaving the room.

The next day I awake up around 11 and look at myself in the mirror. Since I had come home, I had stopped treatment. I figured there was no point in delaying the inevitable. It meant that my hair had grown back some. At this point, it was still pretty short, just a little longer than Niall’s was. I debate on whether or not I want to put the wig on but decide against it. It was itchy. Instead, I put a bandana on and walk into the kitchen. “So what are your plans for today” my mom says.

“Niall is coming over and we are going on a picnic around dinner time” I respond.

“Sounds fun” she says with a smile. I nod, a small smile on my face. The next few hours drag on. It seemed like he’d never be here but eventually I hear a knock on the door. I open the door to see Niall standing there with two large picnic baskets.

“Do you think we’ll have enough food?” I ask jokingly eyeing the baskets. His responds by sticking out his tongue.

“So where to?” he asks with a smile.

“I thought we could go back to the clearing, if that’s alright with you” I say. He nods and we start walking around the back to the forest. As we walk, I catch Niall staring at me. “What?” I ask self-consciously.

“Your hair is different” he comments. My hands fly up to my hair which was mostly covered by the bandana. I feel my heart lurch.

“Yea, I normally wear a wig, I lost it because of the treatment and it’s just started to grow back” I start rambling.

“I like it” he cuts me off with a smile. I let out a breath smiling at him. We get to the clearing and Niall opens one of the baskets and pulls out a large checkered blanket. He lays it out and sets the baskets on top. “I wasn’t sure what you liked so I made a bunch of different sandwiches and figured I’d eat the ones you didn’t want” he explains pulling out a paper plate full of different types of sandwiches. I laugh seeing the number of sandwiches on the plate. There had to be at least 10. He then proceeds to pull out a bowl of grapes, a potato salad and a few bags of chips. I shake my head looking at all the food in front of us.