Chapter 16

Rachel’s POV

My eyes flutter open and I look around confused at my surroundings until I remember where I am. Ireland, in Niall’s house. A smile breaks out on my face as I sit up and look around. Sunlight was streaming in the window which meant that it was pretty late. I pull the sheets back and stand up. I saw my suitcase still on the ground from where Niall had left it yesterday and open it up. I unpack my clothes, putting them into the drawers, and change. I walk out of my room and head downstairs where I see my mom and Niall’s mom sitting around the kitchen table talking.

“Hey sleepyhead, you’re finally up” my mom says with a smile.

“What time is it?” I ask stretching.

“1:30” she says. My eyes fly wide open

“1:30?” I squeak. She nods. “Where’s Niall?” I ask looking around, seeing he wasn’t here. “Is he still asleep?” Mrs. Horan shakes her head.

“He left a few hours ago. Since the boys are all here for a couple of days, Simon planned a few interviews and meet and greets. He was going to invite you but he didn’t want to wake you. He should be back by dinner though” I nod before walking over and sitting down at the table with them. Mrs. Horan stands up and comes back a few seconds later with a plate of food. I look up at her with surprise as she sets it down in front of me. “We just ate lunch” she explains.

“Thanks” I say as my stomach growls. I hadn’t realized how hungry I was. As I dig into the food, I talk with Mrs. Horan and get to know her better. She was a really sweet lady and it was quite obvious how much she loved her son and how proud she was that he was living his dream. After a hour or so, she excused herself to go run some errands and my mom decided to help her out, leaving me alone in the house. Since I had never been to Europe, let alone Ireland, before I decided to go outside and explore. I walked out of the house and into the back yard. I let out a low whistle when I see the view. It was beautiful. They had a pool and beyond that were rolling fields of green and trees. It was incredible. I stood there, frozen, for what felt like hours, just staring at the beauty before me. Eventually though, I decided to go for a swim. I head back to my room and change into my swimsuit. The looseness of it showed how much weight I had lost since last year. I frown slightly tying it tighter before grabbing a towel and heading out back. I lay the towel over a deck chair and dive into the water. I feel the icy water around me as I slice through. I surface with a gasp. It was a lot colder than I thought it would be. I tread water for a few seconds as my body grows accustomed to the temperature. I swim to an edge before pushing off, beginning to swim laps. I had been on the swim team before I was diagnosed and I had been pretty good if I do say so myself. After, the doctor had told me swimming would be a good way to keep my strength up, but it wasn’t the same. I wasn’t allowed to do as much as I used to, I wasn’t capable of doing as much. I get close to the other wall and flip, pushing off with my feet, cutting through the water. Swimming had always been a great way for me to think. There was something about being fully immersed in water that seemed to soothe my mind and help clear my thoughts. A few laps later and I was beginning to feel the effects of not exercising in a while. When my hand hits the edge, I pause, pulling myself up slightly to rest against the ledge. I pull myself up and dry off a little before wrapping the towel around myself. I walk into the house and head up the stairs towards my room. I notice a door slightly ajar and my curiosity gets the best of me. I gently push open the door, peeking in but not seeing anyone. I push it open all the way and step in looking around. The walls were blue with a few posters littered across them and there was a guitar in the corner. It had to be Niall’s room, I guessed as I saw pictures on the dresser of the whole band, and then one of him and his brother. I run my fingers over the strings of the guitar, hearing the thrum of sound filling the room.

“You trying to seduce me?” a voice asks from the doorway. I twirl around and see Niall standing there, a smirk on his face. I look down and realize I’m still in the towel from swimming.

“Wha? Oh no I was just” I stammer out embarrassed before Niall cuts me off with a laugh.

“I was just joking” he says with a smile walking over to me, resting his hands on my hips. I smile, leaning against him but holding onto the towel so it doesn’t fall. “I’m glad you came” he murmurs softly wrapping his arms around me.

“Me to” I whisper into his shirt. Just being around him left me feeling breathless. His smell was intoxicating it was a very woodsy smell that left me feeling weak in the knees. We stayed like that for a minute or so before the sound of a door opening and closing then the voices of our mom’s filled the air. I stepped back, suddenly feeling cold without his arms around me. “I should go change” I say softly.

“If you must” he says with a sigh stepping aside so I could leave. I went back to my room and went into the adjoining bathroom, taking a quick shower before getting dressed and heading back downstairs. As I walked into the kitchen the smell of spices overwhelmed me. I follow the smell to the kitchen where I see Mrs. Horan cooking something while my mom was cutting up some vegetables. I sit at the table feeling tired and look over when I feel a hand on my back.

“You ok?” Niall asks a trace of worry in his eyes. I nod.

“I’m fine” I say. “So what’s the plan for tomorrow?” I ask trying to change the subject.

“It’s a surprise” he replies, his eyes brightening.

“Ohh so there is something planned?” I ask happily. So far everything he had planned was perfect so the fact that there was something tomorrow got me excited. He nods, a secretive smile on his face. “Tell me, tell me, tell me” I begged. He just shakes his head in response. I wasn’t going to get it out of him. I let out a huff crossing my arms.

“Aww are you mad at me?” he asks with a chuckle, wrapping an arm around my waist and kissing the side of my head. I nod my head, trying my best to look mad even though I know it’s all in vain. He lets out a laugh “But you’ll like it better if it’s a surprise”. I sigh, letting myself relax against his side.

“Fine” I relent. “But you better be right.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's kinda short I know, but I had some writers block there. I've been writing the ending and I have that all planned out, it's just a matter of getting there now. I hope you all like it so far! Let me know by commenting and voting!