One

The mornings in the Thakkar household have always been entertaining to say the least. No one wants to be there at the table with their condescending father, but eventually they have to.

"Come down for breakfast, everyone!" hollered Danish Thakkar, glancing momentarily towards his already seated second son, reading newspaper.
Raghav smiled at him. " Good morning, dad."
Danish merely nodded, spreading down the napkin on his lap.

"Sorry I'm late father. I had to take a call from Wendy. She said she wants out." said Atirek Thakkar, the eldest son of the family, as he settled down on the seat to Danish's right.
"Try if she can be persuaded." Danish merely said, making Atirek nod.
"Where's he?" came the question the two brothers had been dreading for. "I have decided to give him a tour around our offices, he should get a hang of it before we allow him to officially join."
Raghav looked alarmed and glanced towards Atirek, who looked calm, even bored.
"He must be sleeping. He was out late and came home drunk. Frankly, I don't think he'll be able to handle our business." He said in a monotone.

Danish stared at his elder son, who poured himself a glass of juice, oblivious to his stare. Atirek was known for his no bullshit attitude and seeing it in person never ceased to amaze Danish.
"Why dear brother... As long as you're alive, I don't think I'll be needing any more enemies..." Arjun drawled out, leisurely entering the dining room.
"Arjun!" Exclaimed Raghav, taking a quick glance at Atirek, who stopped chewing his food for a mere second before continuing again. "He's your elder brother. Check your tongue."

Arjun rolled his eyes.
"No. He's our father's son. I only have one brother. The one who's not looking to throw me out of the family business."
"Just because it's our family business, you do not automatically clear all the criterion's for the job. You haven't even completed your degree yet." Raghav pointed out.
"So? Even dear Atirek Bro doesn't have any degree. If he can be the CEO without it, why can't I merely join?" Arjun questioned.
"For precisely this reason, Arjun" answered Atirek, wiping his hands with the napkin. "Anyone can be the CEO. But to actually do a job, you need knowledge."
"Oh please! That's bullshit and you know it." snapped Arjun.

"That's enough, Arjun." Intervened their father.
"But dad, you know I've always-"
"I said, that's enough Arjun. Your brother's the CEO now, not me. And until he deems you fit for the job, you won't get it."
Arjun let out a dry laugh.
"As if he'll ever let me join. I know that he wants to keep the family business for himself."
"So what if I do?" Asked Atirek. He was getting tired of this repetitive conversation.

"See? I have a right on this too!" Arjun exclaimed, his hands forming fists by his sides.
"Then prove yourself." Atirek replied coolly. This conversation was now in his hands and this time, he would make sure that he gets what he wants.

Arjun shook his head and scoffed at his elder brother. "As if you'd give me my right even if I prove myself throughout my life. You just want me out of the way. You would've done the same to Raghav Bro if grandpa hadn't decided to hand over his legacy to him."
"Why don't you try?" Atirek raised a brow at him. This time, he made sure to word it like an open challenge. One look at Arjun's face and Atirek knew that he'd taken the bait.

"What'll I have to do? Grovel at your feet?" came his sarcastic reply.
Atirek laughed. "No, gosh, you're my little brother!" he said "I swear your mind is so imaginative. You just have to complete your bachelor's and do an MBA. Then you can join us. Can you do this?"
"Why do you even care?" asked a frustrated Arjun. He was 20, everyone his age were already ahead of him. He had left his studies of mechanical engineering during his second year. And going back would be like admitting defeat.
"I don't care." Shrugged Atirek. "I just want to see if you've understood what responsibilities are or you're still a quitter."

There was silence for a while. Danish felt proud of his heir. He'd trapped Arjun and he didn't even realize it. Raghav held his breath. Arjun had to take up this challenge. Because if he didn't, then everything Atirek had worked for and sacrificed so much for, would be wasted.
"Fine." Arjun spat bitterly. "But if I do this, you'll have to step down from your position."

Another silence followed. By now, Danish was amused. It would seem to him that even his youngest had a spark. Raghav resisted the urge to either bang his head on the table or to bang Arjun's.
Atirek and Arjun stared at each other for a while before Atirek offered him his hand to shake.
"Deal." he said.
"Deal." Arjun smirked.
.

.

"What were you thinking?" Raghav asked Atirek when they were alone in the latter's office.
Atirek laughed. "Thinking is not my strong suit, Raghav. That's you."
"What if he doesn't quit after his studies? What if he still wants to come into this business."
"Relax. I won't let him." Atirek said confidently.
"How? You just promised him a deal-"
"Deals and promises can be broken, Raghav. This is not an honorable business. And I'm not an honorable man. And just the fact that Arjun thinks otherwise, is enough for us to know that he won't survive two days in this."
"He'll forever hate you, Ati."
"He already does, Raghav. He already does." Atirek muttered, while lighting up a cigarette.

Raghav scrunched his eyebrows in irritation.
" This is one filthy habit you should let go. You're setting yourself up for an early grave."
Atirek chuckled. "My tombstone already has my name on it, Raghav. Along with the cause of death. Don't worry, I'll make it through your election."
"I wish you'd stop joking about this stuff. And as for the elections, grandpa said that he wants to talk to you about something." Said Raghav.
"Sure, I'll talk to him."
"Okay, I have to leave now. See you in the evening."
Raghav started to leave.

"Raghav?" Atirek called out.
"Yes?" Raghav turned around to look at him. Atirek stood gazing out of the window, blowing puffs of smoke into the air.
"Arjun's right. If grandpa hadn't decided to make you his political prodigy, I would've done the same to you. I would never, ever, in a million years, share this business with either of you."
"I know that, Atirek. And unlike that idiot, I respect that." Raghav replied.

Atirek didn't say anything and continued to blow smoke into the air. Raghav took it as his leave and left for his office. Arjun was a fool if he couldn't see Atirek's true face. But Raghav had and no matter what decisions Atirek took, he would always stand by his side.

Because for them, it was the safest place to be.
.
.
A/N:
An Indian drama. A rollercoaster of action, drama, romance, regret, life...
A little cliches, a little unpredictability...
Read if you like intense stuff!!!