Five

"Are you sure about this?" Veer looked skeptical about this. Guaranteed, it wasn't the first time that they were resorting to this sort of method, but certainly the first time they were going after an officer's child.
"He left us no other choice, Veer." Atirek shrugged. "I could've tried to wait it out but like grandpa said, we have less than a month to get this wrapped up."

"So, what, do we just go ahead, take his kid and dangle him in front of Rajan like a bait?" Veer was confused. Atirek was behaving very coldly today. Never, in the seven years he'd worked for him, had he ever seen him put a hand on children less than eighteen. That was one of his unspoken rules, in fact.
"Don't bug me, Veer." Atirek snapped. "I know what you're getting at, but the likes of Rajan and this society weren't there when my siblings were suffering. I can make rules for the business, but when it crosses paths with my family's interests, I will always choose them."

Veer opened his mouth to say something but closed it. He knew it was because not only Rajan had chosen the one completely clean property of Atirek's but also because he had crossed the line when he had said that he'd go after his family, especially Raghav.
"Maybe it's time you took my advice, son." Danish Thakkar entered Atirek's study.

Atirek stood up and gave a weary smile to his father. The man had a plethora of faults buried beneath the golden path he walked on, but he was still his father. He could see where he went wrong over the years and work hard to rectify his mistakes, but he could never disrespect him.

"Please sit, Dad." He gestured towards his own seat.
Danish chuckled and instead settled on the sofa on the side.
"I didn't give you the throne to take it all back from you, Atirek." He said, before giving a once over to Veer, who took the hint and excused himself from the room.
"I heard what you're planning." Danish continued. "And how your assistant is appalled by it. I really think you should replace him."

Atirek took a deep breath to keep himself calm. "He's efficient dad. I don't have to re-check his work like I had to with the others." Atirek answered truthfully.
'He keeps me in line, just like a friend. He's not afraid of me.', Atirek thought, but didn't say. His father would only think that Veer was his weakness and had to be eliminated. It was this reason why after all these years, he didn't have a single constant in his life. He had lost a lot and learnt his lesson early.
Danish nodded at that. "As you say, son. But I would still say that this grimy business with Vednath Rajan has him perplexed." He pulled out his cellphone, "Even if you like his company, I think you should have a person who can do as you ask without using too much of his brains. Someone suited for our life, not the superficial business one."

Atirek kept a careful mask on his face. His father was testing him, if he said no to his suggestion, Danish Thakkar wouldn't rest until Veer was removed and some of his lackey took his place. It was better to let Danish win this once rather than winning one battle and losing the war.
"Who do you have in mind?" Was all that Atirek asked, making Danish smile.

.
****

Raghav was pacing outside his grandfather's study, his normally calm mind going haywire. The message on his phone had been very clear but very confusing at the same time.

'Meet me for lunch at The Taj. Kalyan Rathore and his daughter will be joining us.'

Kalyan Rathore was the clear part. He'd always worked in close proximity with him, with Raghav being the rising star and Kalyan; the face of their party in this election.
His daughter was the confusing part. She'd been in US, studying something Jaiman had told him but he had forgotten what, and as far as he remembered his few personal talks with Kalyan Rathore, he had said that his daughter had no interest in politics.
Raghav had worked really hard to be where he was right now, he had sacrificed his life for it. And though it was hypocritical of him, considering him being the grandson of Jaiman Khosla and all, he didn't want the same family hierarchy to play game in Kalyan and his daughter's case.