Twenty Eight

Jaiman Khosla was standing beside his son in law, Danish; welcoming their guests when he spotted a familiar but unwelcome face entering the main lobby of the Thakkar mansion.

"What is he doing here?" He whisper yelled in Danish's ear, already dreading the answer. "Why did your men let him in?"
Danish smiled, staring ahead at the tall man with the stoic face entering his abode. He was in plain clothes, yet the power could be felt in his entire being.

"You did this." Jaiman stated, feeling furious when Danish just smiled but didn't give him an answer.
Jaiman felt like shaking some sense into him, but he had known this flaw in Danish's character even before he married off his daughter to him, all those years ago. He liked to play with his food before eating it.

Exasperated, Jaiman retreated, making his way to Raghav, in order to warn him before the waves of this new storm reach him.

Arjun passed his grandfather on his way to where his father stood.
"You called, dad?"
"Arjun! Yes, my little soldier!" Danish beamed at his youngest pawn in the game. "See that man over there, beside the door, he's the one we have to persuade tonight. If you tell him exactly what I told you, things should go over smoothly."

Arjun nodded, glancing at the older man. He didn't know how him telling the man that his daughter wasn't initially happy while staying here, but both him and Atirek will make sure she has fun, would make the man comply with the business, but he was getting an opportunity for the first time and he wouldn't let it go. It sounded childish to him, why would a man just sign over a deal for his daughter's enjoyment, but he shrugged away that thought, walking away from his father to wait for his chance.

What Arjun didn't know was, Vednath Rajan's and his father's true identity and why Vanya really was here. He had no idea that what he was about to say to the seasoned officer, was a real threat, not just a few childish reassuring words.

.

Atirek was all dressed up since past two hours, but still late for the party. He had no choice but to wrap up the overseas call his father had set up. His gut told him that Danish did this intentionally and hadn't just 'mis-calculated' the timing, but he couldn't do anything about it.

He had tried to reach Vanya before the call started, to talk to her about what happened in the morning between them, but she had been hiding in his mother's room all day. He had even tried stepping in, on the pretense of asking Eshana about which color tie he should wear, and he had found her helping her mother with choosing jwellery. She hadn't even looked up at him once. He was pretty sure that what he was feeling because of her, couldn't be good for a person in his position and predicament.

"Boss. They're asking if they should email the details or you'll prefer receiving them in person." Veer whispered, while nudging him gently, on his knee, so that his absent mindedness isn't obvious to those on the video call.
"I'll be making a trip to Delhi next week. We'll discuss things in person."

The call disconnected and just when Atirek was getting up from his chair, Raghav entered his office.

"Raghav?" Atirek asked worriedly. "What're you doing here? It's supposed to be your party-"
"Danish Thakkar has did it again." Raghav was seldom angry and even when he was, only three people could tell it, his brother being one of them. "Vednath Rajan is downstairs and dad's men have let him in."

Atirek pressed his lips into a thin line.

"Go and stop Vanya from entering the party." He told Veer, who hurried out of his office.
"What's he going to gain by this stupidity?" Raghav commented, staring at his brother.

Atirek gritted his teeth. He knew it was because of what his father had witnessed in the morning. He knew that he was going to pay for his lapse, but he had no idea that his father would take the game publicly and risk the rest of the family too. He didn't answer his brother's question though.
"I'll handle it, Raghav. You shouldn't have come upstairs. Mahira must be waiting for you." Atirek loosened his tie a little. "It's a good thing that tonight isn't a media circus."