1

"Your highness-"

I sighed as I tried to ignore my lady in waiting's high shrill, I already knew it was in reference to my grass stained and slightly ripped skirts. Or maybe it was the muddy boots, I thought with a slight smirk as I brought my bow over my head along with the sturdy leather quiver that encase my arrows.

"...And your father has already warned you-" she continued her rant, one that I was trying my hardest to block out.

"Magorie enough, I know exactly what state my clothes are in and I can assure you that I know very well what my father has said." I spoke calmly and even let a small smile play on my lips. "But if he would only allow me to wear trousers th-"

"Enough daughter."

I turned on my heel and Magorie and I curtsied to him, "father." I said.

He waved a hand in a fluid motion and instantly Magorie exited the room, "are we to have the 'trouser argument' once more my dearest?"

"Father it's only for when I'm out of the castle, or even Rivendell for that matter." I said slightly pleadingly.

He looked at me and then his face softened, he walked closer and picked up one of my arrows, he lightly stroked the red feathered end. "I couldn't stop you from mastering a bow and arrow, and I suppose I can't stop you from galavanting around the forest like a common man."

I laughed lightly at his words, in truth it is only men who usually wear trousers, "am I that hideous father, that I would be mistaken as a man?"

He handed me the arrow and then took my face into his hands, "my Maecel, your beauty surpasses that of even The Lady Galadriel, I dare say no man could ever be foolish enough to mistake you as anything other than a female" he said lovingly before he teased, "although I wish they would mistake you as a man so that I may keep my daughter that much longer." He placed a chaste kiss on my forehead before releasing my face.

"I promise that the trousers will only be worn when I practice."

"Very well, I shall send the finest seamstress of Rivendell to your chambers." He said as he turned to leave.

"May she not bring silks or satins." I put in, he turned slightly so he could look at me, "I will require sturdy trousers so I will need hides or leathers." He nodded his head once then continued on his way, Magorie returned and at once I was whisked away to the wet room to be washed and changed.

. . . . .

"My Lady, Windagora the seamstress to see you."

I nodded my head and Magorie allowed her to enter the room. She arrived with multiple articles of the things I had asked for as well as things I hadn't thought to ask for, she laid everything out on the large table in my main seating area. Leather of varying colors, furs so soft I wanted to lay my face against them, tunics of cotton that seemed so simple but ever so necessary.

She worked quickly to take my measurements and even offered her opinion on multiple occasions as to what she thought would be best.

"I trust your work Windagora." I smiled.

She bowed a deep bow and then exited with a scroll of parchment, she had taken note of my measurements and sketched out a few outfits, I had originally only asked for trousers but after talking with her I felt like I needed more and she happily obliged me.

Once Magorie showed her out she closed the door and came to my side, "my lady if I may, I do believe she may have taken advantage for more coin."

I dismissed her words, "I know fully well how a salesperson works Magorie, but I will require the garments and Windagora is the best." I said of the human woman.

We left my chambers shortly after to make it to the dinner table just before my father.

I took my usual seat, Magorie right by my side, my older sister on my other side. "How was your day Maecel?"

"Adventurous." I smiled at Arwen in response.

She shook her head in a slight disapproval but her smile betrayed her previous action, "always the rebel younger sister."

Our father and brothers arrived at the table and they weren't alone.

"Gandalf, what a pleasure." Celebrían said kindly.

Celebrían was always kind, even to me, a child that is not truly hers.

The man named Gandalf was obviously a wizard judging by his large hat and staff. He trudged over to an empty chair and sat down at the table, dinner went smoothly as the musicians serenaded us and father spoke to Gandalf.

After dinner we all went our separate ways and I dismissed Magorie back to her own room for the evening.

Strangers rarely come through Rivendell, so the curious being I am, just couldn't help but want to know what was really going on. I followed the sound of my fathers voice, knowing well enough to stay a considerable distance away from him or his guards would see me and I would be found out.

"And what if I told you the dwarves seek their old home?" The gruff old voice asked.

"I would say it is completely unnecessary." My father replied smoothly, "the have ample refuge in the Blue Moutain, I would even go so far as to say they are flourishing quite nicely there."

Dwarves?

I was more than confused. If there was one thing people don't speak of here in Rivendell, it was the dwarves.

From what I have been told by wet nurses and nannies the Dwarf folk are a proud yet barbaric sort of people, they fight for fun, they're dirty, and angry. They also hate easily, especially other races of beings, elves more so than any other.

I had missed a large portion of the conversation but all too soon I heard footfalls and knew they were finished talking about the dwarves and were coming my way. I ran away as quickly and quietly as possible and made it to the safe confines of my chambers.

Because I had dismissed Magorie I had to dress myself for bed and brush my own hair, I didn't really mind, feeling the soft bristles against my brown wavy locks was quite soothing.

I looked at my reflection in the looking glass, I always knew I was different.

Mostly due in part to my hair.

All of my siblings as well as other Elves of Rivendell have long dark hair that laid straight against their backs, mine wasn't as dark and it wouldn't lay flat even if I tried. My wild hair curled every which way, but it did have the same length as the rest.

My parents never hid the truth about my birth-mother, my Father had told me all about how he met my half-Elven Mother on his one and only trip to the Woodland Realm. He told me how her radiant beauty had magicked him to love her, and even though he was married he didn't regret it as later on he got me as a reminder of their shared love.

I grew tired and made my way to my bed, I tucked myself in and laid my head on the soft pillow, that night I dreamt of what I thought the Woodland Realm would be like, also what my mother was like.