23

Later that night I couldn't bring myself to eat nor did I sleep.

A knock on my door sounded then Legolas entered.

"My dear cousin, I am truly sorry for you loss." He spoke gently.

I nodded.

He told me that Dwalin and the others had managed to bring both Thorin and Fíli's bodies into the mountain where they were lain next to Fíli.

"I do not know if this is the best time," he said as he reached into his vest and pulled out a piece of parchment, "but you asked me to hold this, I thought I should give it back before I lose it."

I took the parchment and thanked him before he left, I laid my martial decree on the bed Thorin and I shared briefly and I cried until my eyes hurt.

. . . . .

When the sun came up I dried my face, still in my armor from yesterday, dirt and blood touching my skin, I exited my chambers.

There was already a large gathering of Dwarves, Elves, and Free Folk who stood and stared at the fallen sons of Durin.

I faced the crowd.

"I wish to have tombs created for them, each of their likeness to be displayed for all to see as a reminder that the line of Durin is not so easily broken." I spoke.

"And why should we take orders from the likes of you?" Someone asked.

I did not speak, nor did I need to. The ten remaining Dwarves of the original thirteen stepped in front of me, along with Bilbo and Legolas.

"This is Marcel Fairchild." Bilbo said.

"Princess of Rivendell." Balin added.

"Niece of the Elven King Thranduil." Legolas smiled.

"And Wife of Thorin Oakensheild, Queen of the lonely mountain." Dwalin finished.

"I have the power to unite three different realms, and if you question my claims to the the throne you only need to read the marital decree that Thorin and I signed in front of a proper officiant."

I held up the piece of parchment that was still perfectly sealed. I broke the seal in half and opened the folded parchment where I read it line for line.

"I am Maecel Oakenshield, wife of Thorin and mother of his unborn child!" I stated loudly, "I am the Queen Dowager until my child comes of age when I will become Queen Mother, I also carry the key to the mountain around my neck, my marriage token given to me by my beloved Thorin."

No one spoke so I continued.

"I will conduct all business tomorrow, today will be a day of rest and remembrance for those who have fallen." I announced, "and once again, I wish to speak with the best sculptors from anywhere, be them free folk, elves, or dwarves, but I will have tombs created for my fallen family."

And just like that I left back to my chambers.

. . . . .

"You need to be sworn in as the Queen Dowager." Balin stated the next day in the throne room.

As promised I was taking on all business today and it seemed I couldn't do any business until I was legitimately sworn in as an official royal.

"But I've already had a coronation."

"You did your majesty, but that was as a Queen Consort, you technically had no rights to the lands or the people only the title." Balin filled me in, "now we will have another coronation that swears once the crown is placed on your head you have the entire rule of the land, the people, and the sole right to do whatever you wish."