Isla

Leah got out of the car and walked to her grandmother. Her grandmother, Isla, is sixty-five years old. She has shoulder-length gray hair that holds a sense of elegance. Her eyes are dark gray, her lips are youthful pink, and her skin is light, with many wrinkles on her face, arms, and hands. Although, her appearance gives a sense of elegance and mystery. Isla stood by her home, smiling as she looked at her granddaughter. "Leah, my child! You arrived at last!" Isla slowly walked toward the young woman.

Leah smiled and walked toward Isla. "Grandmother! It has been so long!" 

Grandmother and granddaughter hugged one another. Isla smiled as the two separated from the hug. She looked at her granddaughter from head to toe. "Look at you! You have grown into such a beautiful young woman. You remind me of myself when I was younger!" The older woman giggled.

"Oh, grandmother, you still look young. I am just glad that you are doing okay. I know your health was not the best for the last couple of years."

"I know. I have you all to thank for sending me financial help to go to the doctor. I finally stopped smoking; it's an addiction. Anyway, you must be tired from your travels. Come inside. Lunch is almost ready."

Granddaughter and Grandmother helped one another with the belongings and put them inside the house. The house is medium-sized and made of wood. There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The kitchen is small and traditional. Instead of having a stove and other machinery, there is a fireplace with pots, cauldrons, wooden plates, spoons, forks, and cups. Family pictures are hung on the wall—plants by the windows and two sofas in the living room with a tiny old television.

"This place has not changed a bit, Grandmother."

Isla is in the kitchen preparing tea and some cake for both. She also put some tomato sauce on the pasta. With the tray in her hands, she walked to Leah and served tea, cake, and some for herself. "Of course, I have not changed my home, it has been in our family for generations, and I want to keep everything as it is. It is our family's history and a tiny part of this country's history."

Leah got her cake and began to eat it as she drank sips of her tea. Isla went back to the kitchen to finish preparing lunch."Grandmother, I noticed that there are not many people in the village as I remember."

Isla served the food on plates and put them on the table. A sigh escaped her lips. "So many things have changed, Leah. Many families began to move away from their homes due to the lack of opportunities here. There is another reason that you may not believe."

This caught Leah's interest. Isla motioned her to sit by the table to eat pasta. "Why?"

Isla looked hesitant as she got her cup of tea and sat beside her granddaughter. "Do you remember the many stories I have told you?"

"Yeah. You used to tell me so many stories of mythology and so many legends. I loved hearing your stories."

"Would you believe me if I told you some of the stories?"

Leah sat still. "What do you mean?"

"My child, I haven't told this to your parents since they would have hesitated to let you come here and visit. Attacks have occurred here and in many villages throughout the years."

"What kind of attacks?" Leah began to feel a bit nervous. 

Isla took a sip of her tea. "Animal attacks, witnesses say that the animals looked to be like wolves."

The young woman stopped her fork midway. "Wolves?"

"Yes, but the wolves were different. They had human bodies but the fur and face of a wolf."

"That sounds like a werewolf." Leah took a bite of her pasta. The pasta tasted heavenly, just like she remembered. "This is good, by the way."

The older woman sighed. "Yes, a werewolf. Not only that. After these sightings, there have been disappearances."

"Disappearances? Are you saying...?"

"Yes, that these sightings of werewolves and disappearances connected."