Alone

You never have thought of the concept alone before, but as you are in your bed, unable to sleep your mind starts to wander. You think about what you did or what you are going to do tomorrow. Then, you start to think of darker subjects, subjects you wish you had never thought of. You wonder if you are the only one if the house awake at this hour. You wonder if you are the only one awake...in your room. Right there you hear small and subtle creaks in your kitchen.

Right away you pass it off as just the wind. But then you hear it again, this time you know it can't be, I mean just a second ago there was no wind but a breeze. Maybe you're imagining it, yeah it has to be that; I mean no one else is awake and you're certain you locked the door. Minutes seem like hours and you hear the creak again! But this time it seems closer, how could it? Your imagination and mind are playing tricks I mean you live in a good neighborhood, there's never any crime here. Your thoughts are cut off mid sentence as you hear the noise which seems to be just out your door!

Without hesitation you throw your heavy comforter over your head to protect you. You're breaking out in a cold sweat, thinking over and over again "There's nothing there." Then, you hear the small somewhat nonexistent creak of your door. The sound rips through your mind for what seems like hours. You want to check, but, if you do you could meet face to face with someone or something. So you just shut your eyes as tight as you can, trying as hard as you can to just go to sleep, just leave this nightmare.

Hours go by without a single noise, your heart beat is slowing and down. You start to think how stupid you were to think something was there. As you lift your covers off, you freeze and just hear one last thing.

"You shouldn't be up."