A Night Out

"Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then."

― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

My name is Connor. Up until today, my life was completely normal... well, as normal as you can get. I'm your average 25 year old male who graduated from the University of Washington a little over 2 years ago. I was born January 23, 1989 in a small town in Maine called Belmont. Fewer than 1000 residents, but I loved the place.

The only reason I came to Seattle was because of all the great job opportunities after college, but like all my other plans, things didn't go the way I'd hoped. I'm currently working at the Bank of the Pacific in Seattle. It's your normal bank holding company, and it's fairly boring, but it pays well and I appear to be good at it, but it isn't what I wanted to do. I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. I wanted to become a programer, maybe make it famous as a man who created the next big thing, like John Carmack. But in the end, I landed a job at a bank. Not really the most entertaining life story ever, but I guess I'm not the most entertaining person in the world either.

Today was Friday, and for the first time in a long time, I actually had after work plans. My friends and I were planning on going to see a movie later tonight and head out for drinks afterwards. To a lot of people, this might not seem like the greatest night ever, but I've gone 3 months without having a night out with friends, and I needed one badly. But out of all the stuff I'd be doing tonight, there was one thing I was looking forward to even more. This girl I like, Reyane, will be tagging along with the rest of us. And who knows, maybe if I make a good impression on her, next time it might just be the two of us. It had been a while since I had even thought about love. I remember having a girlfriend in high school, we dated for around 3 months before she told me that it wasn't going to work out. I hadn't had a girlfriend since, not because there wasn't anyone I liked, but just because of how I took the breakup. She had it a lot easier than me... I won't be going into details, it just brings up too many bad memories... it's been years since then, so I think it's about time I give dating another shot.

As I started walking out of the building, I noticed the amount of police cars in the area. There were people gathered all around to see what exactly was going on, but the police didn't appear to be giving any information out at the time. It was probably some kind of car wreck, or a fight that broke out. Either way, I had to go home and get ready.

I own a blue 2004 Audi S4 Sedan, and I am one of those people who get overly-attached to their car. It might not be the newest or most in-shape cars out there, but this car has been with me for years now. I get in the car, pull out of the parking lot and head out. I had arrived at my rundown apartment complex at around 3:30. The place wasn't in the best of shape, didn't cost much. I had just graduated when I first started living here, and at the time, it was all I could afford. A few years have passed since then and this place makes me happy, and it has some other benefits as well.

My apartment is at the end of the 2nd floor hall, room 208. I put my key in the lock, only to find that it was already unlocked. It's this terrible habit I have, leaving the apartment unlocked from time to time. The dorms I used to live in at the college I went to had automatic locks, so I never needed to get used to locking it manually. My apartment itself was nearly as bad as the exterior... I was a slob. I had clothes lying everywhere, garbage next to the trash can (not in it, but literally sitting next to it), my bed wasn't made, dishes were piling up... I was living the carefree batchelor's life.

The only thing I actually cared for was my home entertainment system. It had a Samsung 60'' Plasma TV, a PlayStation 4, XBox 360, surround sound speakers all over the living room, and my giant stack of DVDs and Games. It cost me a fortune, but like I said, owning a dirt cheap apartment has it's benefits. I started getting myself ready. I thought that it'd probably best if I wore clean clothes tonight, 'cause from all the magazines I've read, girls don't appear to be attracted to guys who wear the same pair of pants for an entire week. I decided to throw some clothes in the washer and dryer, and took a shower in the meantime.