Log of Captain Kyle Wright

June 15, 2012

Off the island of Banaba, Kiribati, South Pacific

Day 34 of my solo trip in the South Pacific. The Pony is doing nicely; she's keeping me relatively on track as far as distance and time are concerned. Had a rough time last night, the water was a bitch. I still haven't gotten used to sleeping with her rocking so much. Overall all systems are go and good. Managed to patch my sail when I was in port, had a local boy mend it up. Couldn't speak a drop of English, but he understood the money quite well. Stocked up on supplies, managed to hit the jackpot on some fresh fruit. I was down to Vienna sausages and stale bread, but I think I've got enough to last me 'till next port. Haven't decided which way to go yet, north to Tarawa or keep heading east to Christmas. Either way I'm in for a ride. This solo stuff is a workout. But I'm toning up and honestly it's not the physical part that is the hardest. The loneliness is really kicking in now. I miss watching T.V. I miss eating cheeseburgers. I miss my wife.

June 18, 2012

Unknown

It's around 1 in the morning and I can't sleep worth a damn. The waters as calm as a pond but I've been getting shoddy sleep the past couple of days. I lost my sat phone over the side two days ago when a big storm took me by surprise. That was my last tie with home and poof, gone in the deep. I haven't talked to Julie since then. But she can still watch my progress on the GPS, so at least she's not worried. I wish I could say the same about her. Watch her as she goes to the gym, or takes Tyler to the park. Just a little bit of a reminder of home. The Sea is a fine mistress, but she's only that, a mistress. I'm not married to her. She gives me my pleasure, but I want to go home and see my wife and child. But my God, looking at her now, in the wash of the moon, she's all lit up like she's going to a ball. I don't think I've ever seen anything so pretty. The stars are her pearls, the moon her stunning white dress. I can see how many a man have fallen for her. But I know her disposition, her sudden change from beauty to beast. Oh, the mood swings of the Sea. She makes a woman seem like a toy, her complexity bests even the most eccentric lady. I wish I could see into her depths, see how she feels, how she ticks, what she does that makes her so pretty and deadly at the same time. I want to see that source of pleasure and pain and I want to hold it in my hand.

Oh my, I've filled my log with craziness. I need sleep. And I need to see my wife.

June 20, 2012

Off Christmas Island, Kiribati

Fixed the main sail, but couldn't find a single person to fix the bent shaft on the motor. I'm glad I was pulling into port when I hit that snag. I would have been floating around for days before someone picked me up. Finally got the pleasure of talking to another English speaker, met a man named Reilly at a local motel. I stepped in to have a drink and he practically tackled me when he saw I was white. Talked my ear off for an hour. He was headed to some little island west of here. Said he was escaping the "apocalypse". I think he might have been off his rocker. Did see a news story on the TV about home, seems to have been a series of nasty forest fires in California. I hope they don't spread north. Mainsail good, GPS ticking. Bearing east and finally headed home. All systems good and go, hull intact, water calm.

June 22, 2012

Unknown

Something's happening out there. My GPS unit stopped working a couple of hours after I left Christmas so I turned back. But it didn't seem damaged; it just refused to link up with the satellite. Kept bringing up a "searching" message for a solid hour. I got pissed and turned around, headed back to Christmas in hopes of picking up a new one. But as soon as I came within sight of the island I was meet by an armed patrol boat. This was a US military boat. But it wasn't Americans on there. They were locals, dressed as locals, but toting machineguns. These weren't the ones you see on the news, the cheap little ones that the terrorists had, the KA- 67s or whatever the hell they are. These were US guns. Something happened.