| Chapter 1 |

"Pebblefall! Pebblefall! Pebblefall!" Pebblefall heard the voices of his Clanmates cheering in his dream. He was finally a warrior! Spottedstar smiled down at him and his mentor mentor smiled at him from the side; the moment was perfect.

"Pebblefall, Pebblefall!" A very real and familiar voice broke into Pebblefall's sleep, and he snapped to attention, remembering that he was supposed to be keeping vigil over the Clan. To his relief, the only cat around to see him dozing was the same cat who had spoken to wake him, Sandwhisker.

"Don't worry, I fell asleep on my vigil, too," Sandwhisker, who had been made a warrior only a short time ago, whispered conspiratorially. "But now you finally get to sleep in the warriors' den!" he joked in a patronizing tone. "I have to admit, even after a half-moon, I still find myself heading back to the puny apprentices' den," Sandwhisker teased with small smile that let Pebblefall know he meant no harm by it.

Pebblefall rolled his eyes. "Longest half-moon of my life..." he muttered. Sandwhisker snickered to the side.

"Go get some rest," he suggested with a light flick of his tail against Pebblefall's shoulder, as the grey-and-white tom failed to stifle a huge yawn.

"'Mkay," Pebblefall agreed, stretching his stiff legs slowly.

"Oh!-" Sandwhisker called in a hushed whisper as Pebblefall started away, "I almost forgot! There's not a nest for you yet, so you can just use mine."

Pebblefall smiled gratefully at his friend and stepped into the warriors' den for the first time (not counting the time he and Sandwhisker had snuck in together for a peek as kits), locating Sandwhisker's nest by its scent near the back. He carefully tip-toed his way past the sleeping figures, taking extra caution to avoid treading on any tails. He wasn't used to so many cats after the empty apprentices' den.

He settled down into his friend's nest, instantly recognizing his pleasant scent, and drifted back into sleep.

~~~

Pebblefall awoke to a claw prodding his side. "Pebblefall! Get up, sleepyhead! It's past sunhigh."

Pebblefall sat up to see Sandwhisker standing in front of him. "Come on, Mudspot wants us for a hunting patrol!"

Pebblefall's eyes lit up as he caught onto Sandwhisker's enthusiasm. His first patrol as a warrior!

"Come on, slowpoke!" Sandwhisker urged, pausing to nip a loose feather out of Pebblefall's fur before bounding out of the den.

Pebblefall was sent out with Sandwhisker, Minnowstreak, and Smokestep. They made their way to the lake with bits and pieces of pleasant chatter, Sandwhisker and Pebblefall and the two older cats mainly keeping to themselves.

Eventually, Minnowstreak slowed to fall in step with Pebblefall, brushing her pelt against his coyly and adding a hint of purr to her words.

"So, new warrior, I see."

"Er-" Pebblefall tried to step away from her but found Sandwhisker on his other side, no doubt intentionally blocking his escape.

"Mouse got your tongue?" she asked with a sweet smile, brushing her tail against his.

"Er, no," he said, pulling his tail away. "But I think we're almost there," he added, despite knowing full well that the lake was still several tree-lengths away.

"I guess I'll... see you around?" Minnowstreak blinked flirtatiously at him before speeding up to rejoin Smokestep.

"You piece of crowfood, you did that on purpose!" Pebblefall hissed at his friend as soon as the she-cat was out of hearing range. His pelt burned with embarrassment. How could he let him suffer like that?