Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Kate froze and her breath sucked in, she forgot how to breath. She dropped the papers and turned to Rick and pulled her to his chest. Immediately she sobbed and Rick cried too, holding her up so she didn't fall to the ground. The doctor stood there quietly. "Kate, it's gonna be alright." He whispered in her ear. Rick held her head to him with a hand in the back of her head and he swayed them back and fourth soothing her the best he could, Trying his best to hide his tears, and to be strong for Kate and his family. "Hey, Kate." He ran his hand down her back, "let's talk to the doctor, ok?" He chocked out. She calmed herself and she looked over at jack who was still sleeping like nothing was wrong. Kate looked at the doctor, "so, what can we do for him?" By this point Rick had sat down along with Kate. "Well, we want to chemotherapy to shrink the tumors so we can take him into sugary to remove them completely. "And are there any other options?" Rick asked. "Um, no. Not any I would recommend. Since he's so young, I want to shrink the tumors before I remove them, that way we have a biter percentage of them not to grow back." "Grow back? You mean.." Kate drifted off when Jack stirred. "Momma?" Kate stood and was instantly by his side kneeling down. "Hey bud." She ruffled his hair. Kate tried to hold the tears back, but they slid silently from her eyes and down her cheeks. Just the way he said her name, you could tell he was tired. "Mom?" He tried sitting up, "bud, just lay down." "Why are you crying?" Kate hadn't even realized it. She stood up and sat on the edge of his bed and Rick did too grabbing Kate's hand. Jack tried wiping the tears away, but they kept coming. The doctor stood quietly In the corner, giving the family space. "Am I sick?" He finally asked. Kate nodded and Rick spoke, "yeah, bud you are." "When can we go home?" Kate shook her head, "we don't know, jack." That's when the doctor spoke up. "Tomorrow, I'll go to New York so you guys are still close to home." Kate looked at Rick. "You would do that?" "Absolutely." Kate stood up and went and hugged Dr. Schwartz. "Thank you. So much, thank you." He hugged her back and looked at Rick and smiled. He would do anything to get that little boy healthy again.