Chapter 17

Jack has been in the hospital for three days. Rick or Kate was always with him while the other was at home with the kids. Jim, Martha and Alexis offered to watch the children so they could both be with jack, but the younger ones needed their parents too. Collin knew why was going on the best and Anna had a pretty good idea, but J.J. Was clueless. It was hard for a three year old to process things like this.

Today, though, Jim and Martha finally convinced Rick the kids would be fine for a day or two, so him and Kate could both be at the hospital. Rick arrived shortly after 2pm and he walked in the room. Kate was sitting on the edge of the bed watching jack sleep. "Hey, sweetheart," Rick kissed the side of her head and sat in the plastic chair next to the bed, "how's he holding up?"

Kate shook her head, "he's feeling more sick, worse headache and he was asking for you."

Kate smiled weakly at Rick and Jack stirred, "momma?" He blinked his eyes open, "my head still hurts."

Kate sighed and helped him get in a comfortable sitting position, "I know bud, but daddy's here."

Rick smiled and stood up next to Kate, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Hi buddy," he kissed his head and smiled down at his son.

"When is Collin coming? I wAnt to play that new video game with him."

Rick chuckled, "I'm not sure, but maybe tomorrow."

Kate swallowed hard knowing there might not be a 'tomorrow' and it killed her inside. His tumor has gotten bigger and there was nothing they could do about it. They wouldn't be able to preform sugary until the main surgeon flew back into town and that could be days.

Rick heard Kate's stomach growl and he turned his attention back to her, "when was the last time you ate?" He asked concerned and a bit mad.

Kate shrugged, "probably yesterday." Rick sighed, they would defiantly talk about this later, but not in front of jack, not now.

"I'll be back, I'm going to get you something to eat, and a coffee?" Kate nodded, grateful she had him to take care of her.

"Thank you." She pecked his lips and he walked out of the room.

"Mommy, why so you and daddy kiss?" Kate laughed at the question and sat back down on his bed.

"Well, the same reason I give you kisses, so we can make each other feel better, or show that we love each other."

Kate said simply and jack scrunched his face, "but daddy had germs."

Kate laughed and nodded, "they're good germs." She smiled and kissed his forehead. Soon, Rick was back and Kate ate and her face immediately had some color back to it.

All of a sudden jack went pail and he looked very sick, more than he had. Kate laid with him while Rick got a doctor. After he finished looking jack over he pulled the parents out In the hallway.

"Jack's body can't take much more. He's a strong fighter but, things aren't looking good." Kate's heart stopped. Rick noticed her state and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Neither of them could deny it anymore. Their son was sick, very sick, and his time was limited.

_______________________________________________________

A/N- please vote and comment, I love hearing your reviews😚