Chapter 18

A/N- we are winding down with this story, only two more chapters after this one. I've been saying have tissues near, well seriously have tissues near because you're gong to hate me.

________________________________________________________

The doctor left them be and they stayed in the hall to talk. "What do we do?" Kate asked looking at Rick. Her face was blank, no emotion.

"We call your dad, my mother. Have Alexis come see him. Have our parents bring the kids to the hospital one last time." Rick said rambling on.

"Rick-"

"Kate, we have to face the truth! He's not going to last much longer!" Rick screamed at her. He had every right to. She had been denying everything at the start, thinking of loosing her baby was horrible, but she needed to face reality.

When the tears started to form in her eyes, and she she was motionless Rick brought her still body into his arms and held her. Crying too, he slid to the floor in the middle of the hallway, luckily nobody was around. He held her tightly until she struggled to get free. "Rick, we need to go back in there. He needs us."

Rick nodded and they stood up. "I'm going to call everybody real quick, I'll have my mother and your dad bring the kids by quick." Rick said and Kate went back into the room.

-later that night-

The kids came and went along with their parents. Alexis stopped by and Rick took some time to explain to her what was going on, and to Martha and Jim. All of them heartbroken, but stayed as strong as possible. Jack was finishing his dinner that he'd had barely touched.

"Bud, you should eat." Kate said running a hand through his hair.

He shook his head, "not hungry. I don't feel good." He stated and pushed his trey away.

Kate sighed and Rick got up from the couch and took the tray, "are you sure your done?" Rick asked and jack nodded. Rick went to get rid of the rest of jacks food.

"Mom? What happens when you die?" Kate stopped and sat back down on the edge of his bed and held his hand. She swallowed hard, she didn't know how to answer that.

"Well, I'm not sure." She was going to be completely holiest with him. "Why do you ask?" He shrugged. "Jack, you can tell me. "

Kate looked down at him and he sighed. "I heard the doctor talking to you and daddy, momma." Kate closed her eyes. How could have they been so careless?

Kate let a few tears slip, "well, I can tell you jack, that I believe that Grandma and Uncle Roy will be there if or when your time comes, and they will take care of you."

Jack nodded, "but, don't want to leave you momma, I love you."

"Sweetie, everything going to be ok. I love you too."

She kissed his head, "is it ok to be scared momma?" Kate nodded, "absolutely."

"Are you and daddy scared?" Kaye hesitated but nodded. Just then Rick came in acting like he hadn't heard anything.

They managed to get jack to go to sleep that night and they sat on the couch together. "How much did you hear?" Kate asked. She was curled into his side.

"Enough, more than enough." He held her closely and kissed her head, "you handled it well." Kate nodded, silent tears trickling down her cheeks.

"I hope so." Kate felt Rick sigh but was quickly distracted by hurling noises. Kate scrambled to her feet and was by jacks side in an instant while Rick called for a doctor. "Jack are you ok?"

He finished puking, "no, I feel very tired." Kate held him in her arms as a doctor came in. Jack had threw up blood and the doctor closed his eyes and nodded to Rick and exited.

"I'll let you guys have your time." Kate looked at Rick with wide eyes.

"Momma, wheres daddy?"

"He's Right here buddy." Rick went to Kate side and ran a hand over jacks face.

"I'm right here buddy." His other hand rested on the small of Kate's back.

"I'm really tired, but I don't want to go to sleep."

"It's ok, sweetie, daddy and I are here." Kate chocked behind tears.

"Momma, I not scared anymore."

Kate nodded, "that's good honey, I love you, so much." She kissed his forehead.

They were quiet for a moment, "daddy? I don't want you and momma to be sad, I'll be with grandma and uncle Roy, like mommy said, I'll be ok." Rick wiped his eyes, but it was no use.

"I know, bud. But we just love you so much. And we're so proud of you, your so strong."

Jack didn't say much more other than I love you. And Rick and Kate just held him until the line went flat and had a steady tone. Kate closed her eyes but still held his tiny body while Rick brought her into his embrace and held her as the doctor came in and pulled the sheet over jacks body and Kate was finally forced to let go, falling to Rick clinging to him as he held her close both crying tears of sorrow.

_______________________________________________________

A/N- I bet you hate me.. I hate me too. I actually cried writing this.. Sooo. Please give me your reviews, the story isn't over yet and it does get a bit lighter at the end.