i hadn't found out about your facade

2: what if i hadn't found out about your facade

You had turned up to my house with a warm smile and a white box. Your hair is tied into a neat ponytail and your eyebags are nowhere to be seen— you look entirely different from your exhausted state a day before. Everyone admires you for being intelligent and outgoing, and I find it funny when I found out what you go through just to keep that up.

You hold out the box of the strawberry-flavored dessert, your eyes lidding. “I want to thank you for walking me home last night, and for staying back with me at the library.” You tell me hesitantly, softening your voice. “I would've fallen asleep in there if you hadn't arrived.”

“This is unnecessary,” I say, retrieving the small box from you. “Thanks, anyway...”

You nod in response and take a step back. “I'll see you on Monday, I guess.” You spin on your heel and start to walk away, before I call out your name.

You turn your head to look at me questioningly, and I clear my throat before responding. “Mind if you stay for a while?”

Admittedly, I want to know more about you. I realized that you aren't just the optimistic, hardworking girl who smiles at everyone. After seeing your state yesterday, I want to know more, I want to see who you are behind that facade of yours. I want to like you for everything that you are— not the mask you let up to not disappoint those who look up to you. I want to know the real [Surname] [Name].

Just as you enter the house, a familiar mop of blonde catches my eye, and realize that I had entirely forgotten that today is a Saturday. Akiteru pops his head out of the kitchen, greets you with a smile, and sends me a mischievous smirk— one that I see with Nekoma's captain when he's onto something.

It's then that I realize my mistake, and the thoughts of getting to know you disappears from my head. They're replaced by thoughts of how, once you leave, will I handle my older brother. One of the answers I receive is to lock myself in my room, and I don't doubt that it'll backfire.

I'm screwed, all because you wanted to repay me with strawberry shortcake.