i had given up finding you

04: what if i had given up finding you

We got back from Tokyo a few hours after we ate dinner with the Nekoma team. It's late at night already, and the school is empty, of course. I'm surprised when I didn't see you in the library, and even though I'm glad you aren't overworking yourself today, I worry where you might be now.

I let Yamaguchi go ahead, and he did so with slight reluctance. I don't know what to do in this situation; I don't think this has happened before. You always stayed in the library by this time, and if you aren't there still, you'd be walking home with me.

I had pulled out my phone and tried to contact you. My messages went unresponded and my calls weren't returned. You won't be anywhere else on campus since only the library will be open at this time. The sport clubs would have locked up by now.

Eventually, I exit the school and start to walk towards the nearest cafe— the one you buy coffee in and hang out with Yamaguchi and I when we're free. If you aren't there, then I'll assume you're home or you're dead.

I breathe in the scent as I enter the foreign shop. I scan the place carefully, looking for the [Hair Color] hair that I can recognize anywhere. I'm about to turn around and leave, until I saw you sitting alone in the isolated area of the cafe. Your cheek is resting on your hand and you're holding a mug of hot chocolate.

I walk up to you hesitantly, and as I stop in front of your table, you notice me immediately. But that doesn't matter to me. At least, not as much as the visible trail of tears on your cheeks.

“What happened?” I find myself questioning you, and you only shake your head. You don't bother to wipe the tears away, choosing to send me a smile instead.

“It doesn't matter,” You tell me calmly and gesture to the seat in front of you. Even if I want to know what caused to cry like that, I don't want that smile to disappear either.

“Are you okay?” I asked instead, my voice gentler than usual. You take a sip of your drink, holding the mug with both hands, and as you lower it back on the table, you reply in a soft voice,

“Yeah, you somehow make everything okay.”

--

The line in bold is from amber-suggestion on tumblr.