Chapter Four

~ Sugar ~

~ Sugar ~

"So, what does this ball acquire exactly ? What's going to happen ?" I asked curiously , relaxing into the soft leather of the car.

"Socialising with a few of the middle class and pretending to like each other, it's basically a day to show off" Murmmed James with a light shrug .

Right , so this was a chance to show me off then.

Interesting.

"It's actually a charity gala though, we're raising money to build new schools in the Caribbean and last year we raised $300,500. I'm auctioning off my old car , it should get at least $50,000" James added after a short pang of silence.

"I wish you had told me, maybe I could have auctioned something off as the cause seems amazing ! Do you do a lot of charity work ?" I asked curiously.

If James and I became an actual thing then I decided that I should at least get to know him more , I still wasn't sure how I felt about him being married as I knew that whatever arrangement James and I had would never go further than sex.

I had only ever slept with one person which made me feel slightly uneasy about having sex with James and not knowing much about him , I wasn't sure if I would be able to easily disarm any emotional attachment .

Falling for a married man would be foolish , he would always pick his wife over me and that was understandable. Sure, he may enjoy my company and value me as a person but I would never be able to have the same bond he would have with his wife .

"You're married" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

Clapping my hand over my mouth , I felt myself flush in embarrassment at what I had just thoughtlessly said. I wasn't sure how he would react to what I said , it wasn't like he could deny it - he was currently wearing his wedding ring, so he couldnt be that shy about the subject.

"No need to be embarrassed honey, you're in your rights to ask me about my martial status and yes , I am married. I've been married for almost ten years and I love my wife, I want to make that clear as I would hate for you to catch any unnesccary feelings that would cause you hurt further on down the line . Honesty is important to me, hence why I never hid that I was married" He replied casually, not seeming the least bit phased by what I had said.

"If you're happily married then why am I here with you and your wife isn't ?" I asked skeptically .

"I love her" He said firmly, his tone making it clear that he didn't want to speak on the subject anymore .