Chapter 15

Beyoncé

I played with my hair as my mom in Houston spoke on the phone.

"Your father has been gone on this business trip for four days. Maybe it's about time I go find out what business he's up to,"I silently chuckled at my mom. She was always on some FBI shit.

"Mama he did say that he'll be gone for a week."

"But he hasn't called me back or return my texts. I'm just worried about him."

"Mama he's working. You won't be complaining when he's spending millions of dollars on you."

"I honestly don't care about the money right now. All I care about is my husband and his safety,"I smiled.

"That's sweet. What are y'all doing for your anniversary?"

"We might take a trip to Paris where we first met. Bring back a memory from 20 years ago."

"That'll be lovely. Who'll be looking after Solange?"

"Beyoncé Solange is a big girl. She can handle herself. We'll only be gone for the weekend and she's a good girl. I trust her, but enough about me. How's work?"

"Work's good,"I checked my surroundings. Even though nobody was around me I could feel somebody watching me and listening in on my conversation.

"Just 'good'? Have you been given any big cases?"

"Yeah but you know I can't talk about work,"I said lowly.

"Of course honey. So where's your man?"

"Man? I ain't got one."

"Beyoncé,"Jay walked into my bedroom.

"Huh?"

"Beyoncé Giselle Knowles who is that? Let me speak to him. Why have you been hiding him from me? I'm your mother."

"Mom!"I took the phone away from my ear. "Yes Jay?"

"Nah don't worry. I can tell you're busy,"he put his hand in his pocket.

"What's up?"

"Don't worry 'bout it. It's calm,"he walked out of my room and I returned to my phone call.

"Beyoncé,"Mom said sternly.

"He's just a friend that's going through a hard time mom. He's finding things difficult with his family and I'm just supporting him,"if I told my mom that Jay was my 'friend' then she'd flip. I wasn't meant to have him in my house. I was putting myself in 'danger'.

"Why don't you cheer him up then? Take him out somewhere so he can enjoy himself?"I pondered on the suggestion. That idea wasn't bad. Maybe I could see a different side of him.

"I might actually do that Mom. He needs a break."

"Mama knows best. Well I have to go because I need to attend to your demanding sister,"I laughed.

"Alright. Tell Solange I love her. Bye Mom. Love you."

"I love you too baby,"the line cut and I ran downstairs to find Jay. He was in the backyard with Cassie and Naharyi.