Chapter One

I watched as Brian's thumbs repeatedly pressed the B button.  "What are you playing?"  I ask, setting my soccer ball down.

     Soccer is pretty much the only thing I did other than gaming, but even then, if there was a game to be played, I would be found sitting on the couch playing it over soccer most of the time.

     Mom always encourages me to take it seriously, since she says I'm really good.  But I'm never interested.  What about ordering pizza, wearing my torn jeans, T-shirt, and beating up Dragon People?

     I plop down on the couch next to Brian.  "Ooh, Karate Kicking Koalas X-treme version 3?"  I notice I sound like a total weirdo, but what do I care?

     "Yup,"  He says in a monotone voice.  His thumb transfers from the B button to the A and back to B in one swift motion.

     All at once, three Evil Kangaroo Hoppers explode, and Brian's Ninja Koala character, decked out in rare unlocked clothes, picks up the power-ups left behind them.

     "Whoa Brian!  That was almost as good as my lowest score!"  I say, Brian shoots me a look with narrowed eyes and his mouth in a scrunched up ball.

     I laugh.  "Come on, Brian.  I'm not serious."  I roll my eyes at how seriously he takes me.  "But that was pretty good."  I add.

     By now Brian is back to full game mode, and I'm almost 100% convinced that he can shut his ears off.

     "Dinner time!"  Mom says.  "That was good....  For a boy."  I say as we get off the couch.  Brian rolls his eyes and then grabs my blonde ponytail and gives it a tug.

     "Hey!"  I say, and he let it go.  We laugh a little as we go into the kitchen.