Chapter Seven

Me and Brian started walking around in the cave.  We have five more minutes left before the hawks were forced to give up, and we would get to level three.

     "So,"  I began.  "do you know how we get out?"  I asked.  Brian shrugged,  "I guess we just have to finish the game."

     We walk further down one of the cave's tunnels.  "But,"  I almost feel tears come into my eyes,   "what if we don't get out of the game when that happens?  What happens to the fake characters when they finish the game?"  I ask.  I almost sound like I'm trying to bring Brian down, which is the last thing I want to do.  But it might be coming out like that, so I stop.  The last thing I need is an enemy.

     But he's not offended, he just continues to think before he answers my questions.  "They--  they go back to the beginning of the game."  He says.

     "And....  if we don't make it through all of the levels....  we die.  Because the only reason we wouldn't finish the game is if we run out of lives."

     He's just saying stuff I pretty much already know.  But I haden't really thought about how the programmed characters just start over.

     "Is there a way to get out?"  I asked.  "I don't know."  He answered.  For once, I had wished he knew more than me.