Chapter 33

“It was no one.” I try to reassure my mother as she cracks each of her knuckles.

“Well for nothing you seem quite worried.” She says as she raising a suspecting eyebrow.

“Nope, I’m tired.” I say and turn to walk up the small half flight of stairs that leads to my bedroom without saying another word.

                                                                          * * * *

The next morning I wake with a throbbing pain in my neck.  I slowly get up from the mattress and attempt to turn my head but it is too painful.  I fell back down on my bed and rolled over to grab my phone I had thrown on the bedside table the night before.  I realize that I hadn’t answered the message or even checked the link that the unknown number had sent to me the night before.

I grabbed the phone and turned it on and the light illuminated the dark room.  I clicked on the link in the message and it led me to a YouTube channel.  I wait impatiently as the small circle continued to swirl as I covered the lower half of my body with the thick blanket.  When the loading signal disappeared a video pooped onto my screen.

The screen showed an empty room for the first few seconds but then a boy slides onto the screen.  Not just any boy.  Cody.

His lips begin to move and I fumble my phone to try to turn up the volume.

“Hey beautifuls!” He said as he messed with his blonde hair.  He spun around in a swirly office chair.

“So, today I have a cover for you. I am working on my song, but the inspiration just isn’t coming as fast as it was.  It should be up in the next month.” He left the frame for a few seconds and returned with a large smile.

“I’m back.” He half shouts as he spins around again.  He now has a guitar in his hands and is situating it on his lap. 

“Today I am doing a cover of the song “Cry Me a River” by Justin Timberlake.” He rambles on for a while.  He then started to play a song as he strummed the strings rapidly as he sings the lyrics to the song.

He sounds good.  Since when can Cody sing?

I clicked out of full screen mode and looked down at how any views this video had.  3,746,097 views.  No wonder he had so many followers on Instagram.  How long had Cody been doing videos?

I dropped my phone on the comforter and closed my eyes.  As if on cue my phone rang.  It was the unknown number that had sent the link. I waited for about 2 rings and then pressed the answer button.

“Hello?” I say slowly as I listen intensely to the noise on the other side of the phone call.

“Hey!” A feminine voice squeals from the other line.

“Who is this?” I ask slowly and press my ear close to the phone.

“Jane!” she half yelled into the phone which caused me to jump and remove the phone from my ear.

“OOH hi!” I say and lighten my tone.

“Did you look at the link?” She asks with much anticipation in her voise.

“Yeah…” I said slowly as my mind drifted back to the video.

“Was that the Cody you were talking about?” She asks.

“Sure is.”

“Did you know he was YouTube famous?”

“No, How did you find this video?” I ask with hesitation in my voice.