Chapter 7: Chocolate Kisses

Crystal was dressed in her favorite purple dress and a black half jacket. I dressed in my everyday jeans and a fitting black v-neck. I tied a green ribbon that matched my eyes around my hair in a side-ponytail. My hair waved down my shoulder in a red curtain.

I sighed and tried to mentally prepare myself for this dinner. When I finished adding a little lip gloss to my lips, I went downstairs. Tristan was already there and he was talking with Mom and Dad. Even from where I was, I could see Crystal holding his hand under the table.

I put on the best fake smile I could manage and went to sit down. It was weird to see Tristan and not be able to hug or kiss him, but I restrained myself. The only other open seat at the table was on the other side of Tristan. I acknowledged everyone at the table softly and sat down. The food smelled delicious. I grabbed a plate and reached for the deviled eggs.

“Holly-Anne, wait until we say grace before you start eating,” my mom said. I sighed and put my hand back on my lap. Tristan chuckled softly but quickly turned it into a cough strategically. When our heads were down for prayer, I slapped his thigh quietly underneath the table. He smiled slightly but didn’t open his eyes.

We ate and dinner went surprisingly smoother than I thought it would go. There was easy conversation throughout the whole thing. Dad talked about riding and work and Crystal was being… herself.  All was going well, until Crystal brought up the Overnight Trail Ride.

“… She said it was going to be fun, but I can’t go because it’s only for employees,” Crystal explained every detail I released to her. Mom put her fork down and so did Dad.

“And when were you planning on telling us this?” Mom asked. I shrugged and picked at my food.

“It’s only for a weekend and it’s for team bonding,” I shrugged again.

“Are you going?” my dad asked, turning to Tristan. Tristan smiled easily.

“Yes sir. They have a girl’s team bonding group and a guys group on opposite trails. Then on the last day, we all meet up and ride back together,” Tristan lied easily. I had to force myself to keep the look of surprise off of my face. Dad gave a look of approval and Crystal seemed to relax slightly in her chair.

“I guess… you can go,” Mom said finally. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I was going to go anyway.

Once, dinner was over, I helped clean up. Tristan left already, but Crystal was still going on and on about him. I rolled my eyes and finally went upstairs and took a shower. I went to my room and rummaged through my drawers. I kept replaying the dinner over in my head as I slipped on my Soffee shorts and a tank top.

I was brushing out my hair when I heard a tapping at my window. I looked out of it confused. I saw Tristan standing outside. I looked quickly over my shoulder before I opened the window and leaned over it.

“What are you doing here?” I asked. He only smiled back.

“Catch,” he whispered. He threw something up and I caught it easily. I was about to say something else but he walked away quickly. I looked at the small box in my hand. I smiled at the white box with the green bow on top. I opened it carefully and pulled out what was inside. It was a deep box full of Hershey’s kisses. On top of them was a note.

Here’s a Hershey’s kiss for every kiss I wanted to give you today. The only reason I still go to work is because of you. I’m sorry that things have to be the way they are, but I hope that we’ll last for a really long time. I know this is kind of corny and I probably should’ve given this to you tomorrow, but I couldn’t wait. Have a good night and I’ll see ya tomorrow… I love you.

I smiled at the note and re-read it ten times. He told me he loved me. I loved him too, and tomorrow I would tell him. I laughed softly at how many kisses were in the box.

“Who’s that from?” a voice startled me from behind. I jumped and turned to see Crystal. I quickly put the note back into the box and closed it.

“Nothing… no one. Just some chocolate,” I lied. Crystal rolled her eyes and grabbed the box. She opened it and read the note. She beamed at me.

“I knew it! There was a boy,” she whispered excitedly. I snatched the box and note from her and set it on my vanity. I shoved her out of my room. If only she knew who it was.

*The visual representation for Holly and Crystal's house can be seen over in media to the side.*