Chapter 17: Jealousy's a B*****

The next morning, I was awakened by a knock. I looked around and remembered that I was at Tristan’s house. I sighed and plopped down again. I heard Tristan chuckle before he got out of the bed. He kissed my forehead and left the room. I heard muted voices coming from downstairs. I sat up and got out of the bed. Looking out of the window, I could see Crystal’s car. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I sat on the bed and waited. After what seemed like an eternity later, Tristan came back up to the room and sat next to me. He sighed and nudged me.

“Your sister just stopped by to ask me… why I’ve been paying so much attention to you. I couldn’t have said that I love you, obviously, so I told her it was because I know you better,” Tristan explained. I sighed and leaned my head against his shoulder. I nodded.

“I’m going to take a shower. Are you coming?” I smiled changing the subject. He shook his head.

“I took one earlier while you were asleep,” he smiled. It was then that I noticed that he was already dressed. I kissed his cheek before I went into the shower. After brushing through my hair and getting dressed, we went to work. Today was the one day I wasn’t training, so we got there at a normal time. I started the feeding rounds smiling.

“Want to go for a ride?” Tristan asked. “We could work on your cross country.” I agreed and finished my feeding rounds. Once we were hidden by the trees, we started.

“I’m going to be right beside you, but pace Pepper and get over the jumps as clean as you can,” Tristan instructed. I tilted my head.

“Why don’t you go out for the Classic?” I asked. He smiled slyly.

“I am,” he replied. He started off. After a brief moment of shock, I started after him. We went over the obstacles and made it to the lake. I cooled Pepper off and let him get a drink in the water. After tying him next to Tristan’s horse, I sat in the grass. Tristan sat next to me moments later. He kissed my shoulder and I stared at the lake.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked softly.

“Crystal,” I sighed. I closed my eyes and laid down. Tristan sighed loudly.

“Why can’t I just call it off?” he asked. I shrugged.

“Because then she’ll ask questions, and she’ll blame me. You see how she acts when your dating her, imagine how she'll act if you break up with her,” I answered.

“But wouldn’t it be worst if she caught us. We’d both be labeled,” he tried again. I thought about it and sighed. I knew he should break it off with her, but I didn’t want him to yet.

“You’re right,” I finally agreed. “Just… say that you don’t like how she tries to control you and everything around you. That’ll be a… valid explanation.” He nodded.

“Okay, but can I do it today? I don’t want this to go on any longer than it has to,” he asked. I hesitated before I nodded. He smiled and kissed my forehead. After a few more minutes, we headed back. I started training the yearlings when Crystal pulled up. She immediately came up to me and started talking.

“Hey Holls, where did you go last night? I came in your room and you were gone,” she asked. I ignored her and put the yearling back in her stall. Crystal tried again. “Holly, stop ignoring me.” I turned on my heels quickly to face her.

“I was out, okay? Don’t you have to go talk to Tristan or something?” I snapped. I turned and left to the tack room. Tristan was in there. “She’s here. Go ahead.” I said emotionlessly. He sighed and kissed my cheek before he left. I grabbed a saddle and took it to Mystic’s stall. I tacked up and went to the outdoor arena. Coincidentally, it was in view of Crystal and Tristan. I was going to pretend to work on my dressage. I trotted around to warm up and saw glimpses of them near Crystal’s car. I saw Crystal argue with him for a few moments before she slammed the door to her car and drove off. I dismounted and walked Mystic up to the gate. Tristan walked to the gate and sighed as he slipped his hands into his pockets.

“She didn’t really take it well did she?” I asked. He shook his head and I cringed.

“Not well at all. At first she wouldn’t listen to me. When she finally did, she started yelling at me. I explained why and she glared over here at you before she told me that we would talk later. Then she drove off,” he explained. I sighed and closed my eyes. Something told me I wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight. I put Mistic back in her stall and did the evening feeding rounds. Tristan joined me silently.

“Are you coming over?” Tristan asked. I thought about Crystal. I wasn’t ready to hear her mouth yet. I nodded. Tristan smiled softly and snuck a kiss. I laughed softly and finished the evening rounds.

“But only for a little bit; I still have a date with Eric,” I explained. Tristan frowned and hesitated before he nodded.

“I still hate that,” he said quietly. I sighed as we started towards the cars.

“I know,” I replied. Tristan turned off towards his car. Eric jogged up to me and smiled. I schooled my features and smiled back at him. “Hey,” I said. He kissed me softly and wrapped his arms around me.

“Hey, are we still on for tonight?” he asked. I nodded and smiled. “Good,” he said happily. He kissed me deeply and slid his hands down my back. He stopped and pecked me lightly before he just smiled at me. I caught a quick glimpse of Tristan’s face as he sped off. He looked aggravated. Eric kissed me once more before he left as well. I sighed and took a deep breath before I started driving to Tristan’s house. As I pulled up, I saw Crystal’s car. I prepared myself before I walked up to the door. Even though I had a key, I knocked. Tristan answered. His eyes widened when he saw me. Crystal was standing with her arms crossed.

“What is she doing here?” Crystal asked rudely. I switched my face to one of sympathy and worry.

“I heard what happened; I was coming over before my date with Eric to ask Tristan about it. I don’t want someone to break my sister’s heart,” I lied. She only narrowed her eyes.

“It’s funny, because his excuse was exactly what you said,” she snapped. I shrugged.

“I hate to say this, but I told you I was right. You should’ve listened to me,” I said gently. Her face softened a bit before she hardened again.

“How did you know where his house was?” she asked curiously. I shrugged.

“You don’t remember last week when I passed out at work and Tristan found me. I told you Crystal. He brought me back here,” I explained easily. Crystal’s face softened completely. She looked at me.

“I’m sorry Holls. I guess I just let jealousy get to me, when really I had nothing to be jealous of,” she apologized. I wanted to glare at her for the insult but I only smiled softly. She turned to Tristan. “And Tristan, I’m sorry I got jealous and rushed into things. Maybe we can just go back to boyfriend and girlfriend?” she asked. Tristan nodded and smiled tightly. Crystal smiled and hugged him tightly. She kissed him deeply right in front of me. It made my stomach churn. I felt sick. Crystal let go and walked out to her car. It was only when I heard her car drive away that I released the breath I was holding. I looked at Tristan, clearly hurt.

“Please don’t ever do that in front of me again,” I asked softly. Tristan shrugged.

“You sure don’t mind when it’s the other way around,” he mumbled back. My eyes shot up to his.

“We can’t keep doing this!” I yelled. “You don’t like Eric, and I don’t like Crystal. I was planning on breaking up with Eric tonight because I knew it bothered you, and you’re sitting here telling me that it doesn’t matter to you. Either you don’t love me, and I can walk out right now; or you love me, and we’ll be in it for the long haul.” I said loudly. Tristan sighed and looked at the floor.

“I didn’t know you were going to break up with Eric,” he said softly.

“Of course you didn’t! It was going to be a surprise,” I replied. He looked at me.

“I’m sorry for getting jealous, but I just can’t help it. I just… I hate to see you with anyone else but me,” he explained timidly.

“Likewise,” I answered.