Chapter 25: Secret's Out

I woke with a start. I found myself in a hospital bed… again. I looked around and found my target. I glared at Tristan who was asleep on the side of my bed. I reached up to smack his head but my arms were in restraints. I hit the top of his head with my knee. He woke with a jolt.

“Ow, what?” he whispered.

“Where the hell am I?” I asked angrily. He sighed and moved away from me a tad.

“You’re in a hospital,” he answered. I tried to remember how I got here. I looked at Tristan accusingly.

“You drugged me,” I said in realization. His face was apologetic.

“I’m sorry Holly, but I had to. You know I would never make you do anything you didn’t want to, but this was different. I won’t lose you. You were really about to kill yourself,” he explained softly. I glared at him.

“So what?” I snapped. The door opened just then. Much to my dismay, my next visitors were my parents. I glared at Tristan before I turned on my side and shut my eyes tightly.

“We already saw you Holly,” my mother said. I sighed and opened my eyes to see my parents at the end of my bed.

“We need to talk about this,” my dad insisted. I sighed and sat up.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” I muttered. My dad’s face only held a look of amusement.

“Oh?” he asked. “Why don’t we talk about the fact that you were pregnant? Or better yet, let’s talk about the fact that you had a miscarriage,” he said, his voice rising slightly. I shut my eyes tightly as I felt the tears brewing up again. His words felt like a slap in the face. I opened my moist eyes to see my parents again.

“Stop,” I asked brokenly. They looked at me a second before my mother sighed sympathetically.

“Sweetie, this is serious. A lot is going to have to change,” she said softly but sternly. I shook my head.

“Can I just be left alone?” I asked softly. They both shook their head.

“Not after what just happened,” my dad said. He turned his attention to Tristan. “How did she end up with you anyway?” my dad asked Tristan.

“I wasn’t going to let her be alone after… that. I picked her up and took her to my house to keep an eye on her. When she tried to overdose, I brought her here and called you,” Tristan explained.

“Why are you so interested in my daughter?” my father asked.

“She’s my best friend. I’m not going to let her hurt herself if there’s something I can do about it,” he said a tad defensively. I sighed and looked at him.

“Stop talking,” I said under my breath. My dad raised his eyebrows at me.

“I just want to know one thing,” my mom said. “Who have you been seeing?” she asked. I closed my eyes and shook my head.

“Not going to happen,” I sighed. “I think we’ve had enough questions for one day,” I said.

“No, Holly; enough of you leaving us in the dark. Who did you have sex with?” my dad demanded.

“Eric,” I blurted. I knew better than to tell them about Tristan. I heard all of them sigh.

“She’s lying,” Tristan said simply. I looked at him as my eyes widened.

“What are you doing?” I said shocked.

“This has gone on long enough. I’ve been secretly seeing Holly even before Crystal. We just used her as a cover up. We were going to wait until Holly turned eighteen in a few months, but if this is what it has come to, I think it’s better that you know everything. Holly pretended to date Eric as a cover up as well, but the truth is, I love your daughter more than anything. I’ve been trying to keep an eye on her but obviously, I’m not doing too well at that. I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Atkins,” Tristan explained. I could only stare at him wide eyed. What was he thinking? My parents only stood there frozen. After about half a minute, Crystal walked in with two mugs of coffee.

“Hey, I brought coffee,” she smiled before she looked at me. “Oh, you’re awake… Why is everyone so quiet?” she asked taking in everyone’s faces. My parents sighed and looked at me.

“Do you want to tell her or shall we?” my dad asked. I sighed and ran my free  hand down my face. I looked to Tristan quickly before I looked at Crystal.

“Go ahead and set the coffee down,” Tristan said softly. She did as he asked and waited. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly.

“You were right Crys. You’ve been right about Tristan and me all along,” I said quietly. Crystal sighed and gave me a look that clearly said she was hurt. She looked at our parents, then Tristan, and finally me.

“And you let me believe in you the whole time? How long?” she whispered.

“Two days before we started going out,” Tristan answered. “We’re sorry Crys,” he apologized. She shook her head and closed her eyes as she slowly backed away towards the door.

“I don’t regret it, but I’m sorry too,” I added.

“Holly,” my dad warned sternly. I shrugged.

“Since we’re being honest here, I’m the one who told Tristan to continue dating you. I’m the one who asked him to break off the engagement, and I regret it. You have no idea how many times you threatened our relationship. Not for the fact that you were dating him though. It was because you were too close to the truth. I love you sis, but you’ve been so gullible. I’m sorry for putting you through this, but in a way, I had to,” I explained. She breathed in disbelief before she turned and left. Everyone looked at me. I shrugged. “What? Everyone wanted the truth and total honesty, so I gave it. It doesn’t matter anyway. I’m done. Get out,” I ordered. My parents looked at me stunned before they started to leave. Tristan started to follow them as well.

“Nu uh, not you,” I said. Tristan froze and sighed before he closed the door. “What the hell were you thinking?” I asked. He sighed and shrugged.

“I was thinking our secret was pushing you over the edge,” he explained himself. I sighed and gave up.

“God, why do you have such an affect over me,” I complained. He chuckled and loosened the restraints on my ankles and wrist.

“I take it you forgive me?” he asked. I sat up and smiled softly.

“I’ll forgive you if you get me out of here,” I smiled devilishly. He sighed as his smile dropped.

“I’m scared you might… try something again,” he said. I sighed and closed my eyes briefly.

“Come here,” I said softly. He eventually gave in and came closer to me. I hugged him gently and kissed his cheek. “I won’t leave you here, promise. I was upset and hurt at the time, and it won’t happen again,” I promised. He touched my chin and kissed me lightly.

“I don’t believe you,” he whispered. I pouted slightly as he started to leave.

“Don’t… please don’t leave me,” I asked slightly scared. He looked at me and sighed.

“Maybe I need to. Maybe I’m harming more than helping,” he said. I shook my head as panic set in.

“No, I can’t lose you too,” I whispered. He sighed and held my cheek as he kissed me deeply.

“I have to go,” he whispered. I looked at him a moment, my face dangerously close to his.

“Don’t,” I begged softly.

“I have to,” he whispered. He kissed my nose before he was gone.