Chapter 11: Trust Me

After we packed up and mounted our horses, we were on our way. I lagged behind with Tristan. He waited till we were at least ten feet behind everybody.

“You kissed him,” Tristan said flatly, looking straight forward. I sighed and rolled my eyes. “I didn’t think you actually would.”

“But you know I love you and I’m doing what I have to. If you don’t believe me, that’s on you,” I said quietly. My brows scrunched in confusion. “How did you know that?” I asked, looking at him. His jaw locked and he glared forward.

“Eric wouldn’t shut up about it,” he said through gritted teeth. I raised an eyebrow at him.

“It doesn’t have to be difficult, Tristan,” I sighed softly. “And he kissed me… not the other way around. I love you. I’ve only loved you. Everything I’ve done, it was for us, whether you realize it or not.” I quieted down. I trotted ahead of him and joined the rest of the group. After a long and tedious ride of singing and talking, we finally made it back to Ridgeway.  We cleaned the horses and feed them and placed them back into their stalls before we were free to go home. I put my stuff in my bag and opened my door.

“Holly,” a voice called to me. I turned to see Eric. I smiled tightly.

“Eric,” I said. “What’s up?” I leaned against my car.

“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the movies with me on Tuesday,” he asked shyly. I smiled and nodded.

“Sure,” I nodded. He pecked me goodbye before I turned back to my car.

“Can we please talk?” a voice asked softly from behind me. I knew who it was at once; Tristan. I closed my eyes and held on to the door tightly. “Please… tonight?” he asked. I turned to him and slowly nodded.

“Okay,” I whispered softly.

“Come to my house when you get settled in tonight,” he said quietly before he turned and walked away. I got into my car and quickly drove to my house. I started taking out my stuff and putting it in its correct places. I started a load in the laundry room and headed back to my room. Crystal was standing at the door of my room. I passed her and went into my room without a word.

“Sooo… how was the Overnight Trail Ride?” she asked.

“Good, I guess. I have a date tomorrow night,” I said. She squealed.

“I knew there was a guy,” she smiled. I rolled my eyes.

“His name is Eric,” I explained. “More details to come, but right now, I’m tired so goodnight.” I said shoving her gently out the door. I closed it and grabbed my jacket. I snuck out of my window and climbed down the tree. I hopped to the ground and went to my car. I was entering Tristan’s house five minutes later. I sat on the couch and waited. He paced in front of me.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly. “I just… the whole thing really got to me and I shouldn’t have been mad at you.” He apologized. I sighed and grabbed his hand. He sat next to me and watched me carefully. I shrugged.

“You didn’t believe me, and I was telling the truth. You freaked out and took it out on me,” I said softly.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“You shouldn’t let things get… between us that easily without talking to me first,” I continued. I sighed, “But I forgive you.” I gave in. I just couldn’t stay mad at him. He smiled softly and kissed me. I smiled playfully and pulled him onto me. I put my arms around his neck and smiled. He kissed me.

“You should probably get back before they start looking for you,” he mumbled against my lips. I smiled and pulled him closer to me.

“Let them look,” I smiled.

I ended up making it back to my house at one in the morning. I was tired, but oddly at ease. I walked in quietly and tip-toed up to my room. I collapsed on my bed and quickly fell asleep.