Chapter 19: Loss of Time

After I finished crying, I headed back to the stables. I went on blankly through my work. Alyssa pulled me aside when she saw me.

“Are you okay? You look like you’ve been crying,” she asked worried. I shrugged.

“Everything’s fine,” I lied, but I couldn’t bring myself to make my face match my words. I finished up and finally went home. I moved like a ghost into my bedroom. I curled up on the bed and felt the tears roll down my face. I ended up crying myself to sleep, and I tossed restlessly all night.

The next morning, I stayed in bed. I claimed I felt sick, which wasn’t entirely untrue. I had a high fever and I continued to throw up. My mom stayed home from work to take care of me, but it was no use. I only got out of bed to use the bathroom, and even then I wouldn’t eat. I would only slip in and out of unconsciousness. Crystal came into my room on the third day. Of course, it wasn’t about me.

“Have you heard from Tristan? He’s been MIA for three days now. I’m starting to get worried,” she said. I couldn’t reply. Outwardly and inwardly, I was emotionally dead. Tristan was really gone. That’s all I could think. That’s all I thought about before I slipped back into unconsciousness.

I started losing track of the days. My parents were starting to get really worried about me. I didn’t talk or eat for a whole week. The first day of the second week, my mother forced me to eat. She tried to force-fed me the whole second week, but I wouldn’t have it. My cheeks were starting to hollow and I could feel my body getting weaker. She had a doctor come in and take a look at me. He said it was either shock, or deep depression; smart doctor. Crystal came in again at the end of the second week. She smiled sympathetically at me.

“I figured you’ve been cooped up for so long, I brought you a friend,” she said quietly. The person walked in. He was the last person I was expecting to see. Tristan smiled sadly at me. I closed my eyes and focused on keeping my breathing even. I knew he wasn’t real. I just wanted him to be. Crystal left and closed the door behind her. Tristan walked closer and sat beside me. I opened my eyes and reached out to touch his cheek to see if he was real. As my hand made contact, the tears welled up again. I closed my eyes tightly as the tears spilled over. Tristan grabbed my hand and kissed my wrist. I sobbed lightly with what energy I had left. I felt like I was about to pass out. Tristan shushed me softly and moved onto the bed. He wrapped his arms around me and let me cry gently on his lap. He ran his hand down my hair repeatedly as he shushed me. He kept repeating that he was sorry. Finally, I quieted down. He tried to move from under me, but I clung to him like he was life itself. He looked at me sadly and I finally let go. He crouched beside me and looked me directly in the eye. His blue eyes were calming to me. He stoked my cheek gently.

“I’m not leaving you ever again,” he promised quietly. I nodded as a fat tear rolled out of my eyes. I shuddered lightly as he kissed my forehead. Standing, he looked at me once more before he left the room. I fell asleep from exhaustion after that.