8

I walk up the stairs leading to my bedroom. "Goodnight mom, dad!" I shout down to them. I feel my body relax into the floor, I'm finally home. I waited for this moment, but now it just feels bitter-sweet. Mostly bitter sadly enough. My brother's dead and my parents don't have the imagination or hope to believe me. I'll convince them, they just need a little bit of evidence. I know that I was there and I trust myself enough to believe myself.

"Goodnight Karin! You need someone to say goodnight upstairs?" Asks my mom. She sounds congested. She must have been crying a lot today.

I stop at the top of the stairs. "No, I'm good. I love you!" I shout, wanting attention, but knowing they shouldn't be bothered.

"Love you too!" My parents shout in unison. I head over to my bedroom, just one turn away from the stairs. As I stride into my room everything isn't how I left it. The bed is messy even though I make it neat every morning. Clothes that I haven't worn in a week or so are in my dirty laundry pile. Maybe I was here.

I turn off the lights, brush my teeth, get on some comfortable pajamas, and glide into bed, exhausted. I definitely need sleep, but not to pretend that nothing ever happened.

I lay in my bed, eyes wide open. There's a lot on my mind. From who could have been in my room all the way to what caused Todd's death. My parents said it was sudden and a mystery, something to do with his stomach. His spirit still lives on, I can almost feel him lurking in the shadows of my bedroom, watching over me.

I take one deep breath, needing to clear my mind. I wonder what's happening over at the place beyond the curtains. I hope Sara's convinced Jake to convince the kids to leave. Maybe they're out by now. Wait! I never told Sara how to get out! Right as I was about to sink into my bed, that horrific realization enters my mind. How is she going to leave if she doesn't know how to? Maybe she'll figure it out by herself....No she's not smart enough, she hasn't had schooling her whole life. My eyes are now huge with fear.

I hop out of my bed, desiring another assuring embrace from my mom that everything will be okay. I walk out of my bedroom, scared by everything around me, my thoughts, and my circumstances. I make my way halfway down the stairs. "I don't know how we're going to find a way to pay for his funeral. We just can't afford it," My dad whispers to my mom.

"Can't we ask your parents for help, they've helped us in the past," My mom replies.

My eyes are heavy, but my heart is heavier. "We can't put that burden on them, they'll have no more retirement money, we can't do that to them," I continue down the stairs.

I knock on the wall near where my parents are. "Mommy I can't sleep," I say, walking toward her. I pull out the chair between her and my dad and sit down. I rest my arm on the table and my face on my hand.

She looks concerned, as she has this whole day. "None of us can." She glares at my dad. He suddenly realizes and puts away the papers that were on the table.

I look at them tiredly. "I can still go to school tomorrow right? To take my mind off of things?" More like to make sure Sara's gotten out of there with all of the other kids.

My dad looks at my mom for her approval. "A lot of family's going to be visiting and bringing really yummy food. We need you to stay here for the rest of this week or as long as you need to stay," She pulls a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Knowing you, you want to get back as soon as possible." I nod.

I realize how much stress is in the air, everyone looks wrinkled and tired. "Mom," I say in a whiney voice. "I miss him..." I swipe the hair off of my face.

My dad's face reddens. "He was an amazing son and brother. We all need time to mourn and we all need to get some sleep," He begins to get out of his chair and point at my chair while nodding, gesturing for me to get up. "You especially need to get some sleep. Let's go," He points toward the stairs.