Blood Runs Thick

Edited ✔️

——

 ____

____

"So have you decide yet, are we going to the beach?" Kate's displeased voice asked as she sat in the co-pilot seat.

Dad slightly jerked his body sideways.
"Well, I don't rightly know, Katey-Kakes. Why?" He looks at her.
"Do you want to go to the beach?"

"What else is there to do in Mexico?"

I could tell she was annoyed, tired and angry with the way Dad had handled things. Scott and I were too, we just handled it better or at least tried to.
It's as if she was trying to rile dad, though she didn't mean to.

Beep. Beep.

"Who's that?" Dad curiously asked looking down at her phone.

"Nobody."

I lightly chuckle as her eyes went wide as saucers; rapidly responding as she hides her phone.

"Is that-that Winthrop boy from church?"

"His name is Kyle, and he just wants to know when we're gonna be back."

"Kyle can wait. As a matter of fact, waiting is a fine skill for him to acquire."

Rolling her eyes she interrupts,
"Ha ha. Very funny."

I put my headphones on scrolling through my phone searching for the best song to play.

I am nudged at first and then the headphones are pulled off my ears. I quizzically turn to look at Scott.
"Here she goes again." He motions to Kate, settling the headphones down on my lap. I turn my head to look at Dad and her.

"We're not gonna be gone too long, right?" I hear Scott snicker as Kate continues, "I mean, we got school."

"You and your siblings are exceptional students, so you'll catch up, or you'll go back to homeschool."

"One, two, three." I count out loud, waiting for Kate to explode. Smiling as I watch it unfold.

"You're kidding me, right!" Flabbergasted she stares at Dad. "It's my senior year, Dad! I have homecoming and friends and—and a life!"

Wanting to prove her point she turns to look at us. Stuttering over her words,
"What about Scott and Lili?!" She looks back at Dad. "Are you going to do the same to them? It's their junior year! Am I right? Am I right, Lili?"