Chapter 17 - "That's what friends do."

Harry shifts in his position. He can feel Michael’s gaze on him, as much as he’s trying to ignore the world and pretend this isn’t happening. Michael is still waiting for an answer, but it’s not like Harry can come out and be like:

Hey, you know that absolute asshole Louis Tomlinson? Yeah, he’s gay and we used to make out all the time until he let his friends beat me up.

Harry sighs and finally decides to look up at the purple-haired boy sat before him.

“I like someone,” Harry says, all very carefully. “Someone that I used to be involved with, but- ...it’s complicated.”

Michael nods slowly, realising Harry’s predicament, “It always is.”

Harry feels bad. He feels so bad he wants to reach out and hug Michael again out of pity, but he holds himself back, not wanting to make even more of a fool of himself.

“Do you wanna talk about it?” Michael asks when Harry doesn’t reply.

This is Harry’s chance; his one chance to bond with someone like Michael, someone who understands the pressures of being gay, who can maybe give him some real, down-to-earth advice on what he’s going through. As embarrassing as all of it truly is.

Harry lets out another deep sigh, deciding it’s the best - and probably only - thing he can do right now, “Yeah. That would be nice.”

Michael stands up, giving Harry a hand up, “We should get going, it’s kind of late. We can talk on the way.”

“Actually, let’s save it for another day,” Harry smiles softly, stretching out his legs as he walks. “Today’s been... interesting enough.”

The two boys make their way to the closest mall exit, walking side by side without saying much. They reach the doors and Michael holds one open for Harry who thanks him as he walks though.

“I do want that talk to happen, though. Eventually, I mean,” Michael says as they step out into the chilly parking lot. “I don’t want anything to be awkward between us, Harry.”

Harry pulls his jacket around himself, “I do too. Like I said, I like you. You’re a good person, Michael.”

“Thank you,” Michael beams.

Harry isn’t sure if it’s his compliment or just the cool weather that’s making Michael blush, but he likes it and smiles back. Then he realises what time it is, suddenly feeling a strong pang of guilt flash over him.

“I have to call my mum,” Harry groans, pulling out his mobile phone. “She’s probably worried sick.”

“Wait...” Michael pauses, standing in front of Harry. “You can stay at my place tonight if you like? I promise I won’t make a move on you,” he chuckles warmly.

“Really? I don’t want to feel like I’m using you...” Harry bites his lip.

“Of course you’re not!” Michael laughs out loud. “It’s late and it’s cold and I’m your friend! That’s what friends do, Harry.”

Harry looks at him endearingly and nods, dialing his mum’s number. The boys continue walking back to Michael’s house among the darkness while Harry chats away with his mum on his phone. She was worried, just as expected, but as soon as Harry reassured her he was safe and sound, he could practically feel her glow radiating through the phone.

“I’m staying at Michael’s tonight since it’s late,” he tells her, feeling a bit nervous as they walk past rows and rows of darkened houses.

“That sounds like the best idea,” her voice soothes him from the other end. “How did the project go?”

“We finished it, thanks mum.”