Day 1: The Umbrella

1 January 2017

Zaran gets an expected call.
Caller: You won't get a better chance than today! Are you ready?
Zaran: Just tell me where Rahul Gupta is? I'll kill him!
Anurag calls Sam to get ready to meet the owner of the Drowning Ship. Anurag comes in a police van to pick up Sam. Sam asks Anurag about the owner of the Drowning Ship but before Anurag could say anything they receive an emergency call informing about a body found in a public gathering which was looking at the New Year fireworks. Anurag ordered his driver to take them to the crime scene.
On reaching there they found a body which was stabbed at back. Anurag looked tensed.
Sam: What is it? Did you know him?
Anurag: I know the killer!
Sam: Who is it?
Anurag: They call him the Stabber. He follows almost the same pattern of killing in all his murders. Some people say that there is no Stabber but people have made an easier way to commit their crimes. Some people also say that a group of people run a secret agency of killing people under the name Stabber. There were 15 killings last year and none of them were linked. This year's counter had started.
It took a lot of time to inspect the crime scene and to shift the body to hospital. It was almost 5 am and hence Sam asked Anurag if he could leave for home.
Sam: I don't think Blue will rob today as it would be the easiest solution for his mystery.
Anurag: Yes even I feel so! Will you be coming for the party tonight?
Sam: If you're talking about the party hosted by Businessman Prasanna Bakshi then yes, I'll be there. My girlfriend has invited me there.
Anurag: I am going there for security reasons. The owner of The Drowning Ship will also be there so I'll introduce you to him there.
Sam: Ok then! Shall I take a leave now?
Anurag: Wait I'll tell one of my sub-inspector to drop you.
Sam: Thanks!
Later that day.
Sam and Racy reached Club Marina for the new year party. Sam spotted an umbrella and asked the bar tender about it's owner. The bar tender replied that it belonged to Mrs. Bajaj. Sam laughed at it as no one carries an umbrella in winter. Racy spotted her father and went to meet him. Sam spotted Inspector Anurag.
Sam: Sir, before I get bored over here please give me an Introduction to all present here.
Anurag: I am afraid if I do that it will take an entire night as there are more than 200 people here.
Sam: At least tell me about the prime people here!
Anurag: Look at the fully bearded man sir. His name is Divesh Kamble. He belongs to the Royal family of King Vasikaran and also is the owner of The Drowning Ship. Besides him, the guy in blue suit is Ravi Gupta. He is son of Rahul Gupta who is a very rich person. 
Sam: Wow! What about that man with no beard? What's his name and why is he so upset?
Anurag: If you're talking about the person near to Businessman Prasanna Bakshi then his name is Saurav. His surname is quite unique so I keep forgetting it. Saurav is an artist and a childhood friend of Prasanna Bakshi.
Sam: Any special relation between them?
Anurag: I don't think you know sir but Prasanna Bakshi wasn't rich since childhood. Saurav on the other side was rich and helped Prasanna a lot while setting up his business. Prasanna and Saurav are two unbreakable friends.
Sam: Who's next?
Anurag: Look at the guy with 9-10 girls around. His name is Vishal. He might be the poorest amongst all these riches but still lives a better life than all present. Certainly the smartest present here as he spends his money in such a way that he will be the most updated but at least expenses.
Sam: Wow! Smart person huh?
Anurag: Look at the old couple with the young guy there.
Sam: I know them they are the Bajaj's who bring umbrella in winter. Who is the young guy?
Anurag: He is their private secretary named Raj Kumar.
Sam: That is too much overdose of names! Let's have some drinks!
The party continued well. At the dance time, Racy and Sam showed an excellent performance to all and received amazing compliments.
Then Suddenly Lights in the club went off. Sam noticed a man running towards the washroom. Three gunshots were heard. Crowd suddenly began to panic. Anurag controlled them. Sam again noticed a man running. Suddenly the lights were back. Anurag and team rushed to the washroom. Mr. Bajaj was dead. Anurag called the ambulance. Sam searched the body for clues. He found some clues. He focused on how the murderer could have been done. Anurag had a gunpowder test of all present. Purses of all women present were checked for hidden clues. Gun was thrown at the murder spot. Sam knew that some insider was involved in the killing because the murder weapon couldn't be brought inside without an insider's help. Sam questioned the bar tenders. A pair of gloves was found in Mrs. Bajaj's purse. No one had gunpowder on their hands. Gloves had traces of gunpowder. But Sam was quite confident that the murderer is a male.
Sam: All men present! Will you please remove your coats’? Inspector Anurag please check if any of the inner pieces of the suit has a hole in it.
Everyone does as Sam says but no inner piece was found with a hole on it. Sam was confused now as the only way to commit the murder was lacking its only proof. Then suddenly Sam heard something.
Prasanna: Why do you look so weird Divesh?
Divesh: I sweat a lot when I am scared or tensed. It's so unnatural! But can't help it!
The word 'unnatural' reminded Sam of something he had seen before. The umbrella! As carrying an umbrella in winter is so unnatural. Sam asked Anurag to open the Umbrella. Anurag opened it and it had a hole on it.
Sam: This umbrella is the reason why no one had gunpowder on their hands. Murderer used the umbrella to stop the gunpowder from settling on his hand. Now we need to know who brought the umbrella.
Bartender: Sir the umbrella was brought by Mrs. Bajaj and was given to me by Mr. Raj Kumar who told me about its ownership. Mrs. Bajaj didn't handle it herself to me.
Raj's eyes opened up. Anurag immediately arrested him.
Raj: I am sorry ma'am but greed for more money made me do this as I was informed that sir had kept my name as the successor of the company after you. So I planned to kill sir and put you in jail for his murder so that I become the CEO of a big company overnight.
Detective Sam received too many praising for his abilities to solve the case. Anurag introduced Sam to Divesh(The owner of The Drowning Ship model). Sam shared his mobile number with Ravi Gupta on Ravi's request so that he can call him whenever required.
Later that night when Sam dropped Racy home, she asked,
Racy: How did you solve it?
Sam: I knew it wasn't a woman as I myself saw a suit running. Then I started thinking that how the murder could have been committed. This took me to the killer.
Racy: I had a friend in childhood named Guddu. He loved solving cases and always said that try solving the second if you cannot solve the first.
Sam was happy that Racy still remembers him but he knew that it wasn't the perfect time to show up to her with his real identity.
Sam's phone started ringing. He picked it up.
Ravi Gupta: Sir please come to my residence! My father has been killed!
Racy: Who was it Sam?
Sam: Rahul Gupta is dead!

12:00 am