Stealing their Hearts

Author's note: Before I start Chapter Three, I wanted to share my perspective on how I see Tolkien's elves. The movies make the elves seem like really serious creatures, and as well they should be, for the War of the Ring was a serious time in their history. Yet in the books, Tolkien's elves have a lighter, merry side to them:

"So they laughed and sang in the trees; and pretty fair nonsense I daresay you think it. Not that they would care; they would only laugh all the more if you told them so. They were elves of course" (The Hobbit, 46).

"The elves had brought bright lanterns to the shore, and they sang a merry song as the party went across... "Mind Bilbo doesn't eat all the cakes!" they called. "He is too fat to get through key-holes yet!"

"You speak for me Gimli," laughed Legolas. "Though I would sooner learn how they came by the wine," (LOTR, 544)

With this said, elves definitely know how to have a good time!

The great table had been pushed to the back wall. On one side of the room, chairs had been gathered, and the rest of the space was to be used for a large dance floor. The Lady Galadriel shimmered in the gathering of chairs, smiling and conversing with some of her younger female subjects. Legolas thought he might as well try and recruit some of those fair maidens for Ithilien—purely from a non-biased leadership perspective, of course!—and he moved to join them.  Moving across the room, he took delight in seeing elves tune their instruments: lyres, harps, flutes, and yuvitars with long strings and round heavy bottoms.

Just as Legolas neared Galadriel, hoping she might introduce him to her handmaidens, Celeborn intercepted him.

"Legolas, I had no idea that you were interested in the different methods of rune engravings. Tell me, have you ever studied the scrolls of Belthuin, in the house of Elrond?"

"Well, I..." Legolas started.

"They are really something. They compare the Tengwar of Rumil to that of Fëanor and feature a whole section about moon letters. You must come to my study and look at them with Gilgafier and me. We could spend hours comparing the variations in the alphabet of Daeron and how they affect Sindarin etymology."

"I can not claim the knowledge you and your ministry possess. I fear I could only be a hindrance," stated Legolas flatly.

"Well, of course, you have much more to look toward now that you are planning for the future of Ithilien, which is exactly why I came over to meet you! Not to ramble on about runes and dialects. I wanted to introduce you to someone who I think will be a great asset to you and your plans for Ithilien." Celeborn steered Legolas to a young group of elves. "Prince Legolas, please allow me the honor of introducing to you one of the finest young hearts of Lorien..."

"Eledhel!" Legolas exclaimed and immediately shook his hand and clapped him on the back.

"Well, it seems you know each other already," Celeborn said, smiling at the reunion. "Eledhel has been one of the biggest supporters of your project, ever since he first heard mention of it."